Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Is nail polish toxic for toddlers?

is it unhealthy or unsafe to paint the nails of a toddler (18 months) with a thin layer of nail polish... if you sit with them until its dry so they aren't licking it off while its wet.
i ask because... what if they chewed it off and it flaked in their mouth?

i know there will be different opinions but I"m just wondering if anyone has any REAL FACTS that I could go off of cause my 18 month old twins think its really fun to get their nails painted lol oh and theyre boys... yeah i know, my brother loves it too ;)

but it makes them excited haha its adorable. but yeah just wondering if it's safe to do more than once etc.

 
ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 7:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Health

Level 20 (9,139 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • If the ingest it if it flakes off it won't hurt them. Nail polish is only toxic if you drink the bottle of polish. Otherwise it isn't toxic.
    JazzlikeMraz

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I have no idea. We use a non toxic water based paint called piggy paint though. Just in case. lol.
    But_Mommie

    Answer by But_Mommie at 7:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • You can get paint that's for little kids and is completely safe. I'm not sure where oyu get it from though.
    leah_rai

    Answer by leah_rai at 7:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • If you get the water based nail polish it would be fine, though they do tend to peel off easier, but they wouldn't be toxic. Traditional nail polish is toxic for anyone and not just eating, it seeps through the nails and into our bodies!
    Mom2Jack04

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I think it would be okay to repaint nails if the polish comes off the first time. I have not read any studies that have suggested otherwise.
    Aries46845

    Answer by Aries46845 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011