Bathtime

My 12 month old is terrified of baths!! I don't know how I can make the experience better for him. He starts screaming and crying everytime I take him in the bathroom. I don't know what happened to make him so terrified because he used to love them. I don't know what to do about it anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• From what I have experienced this happens to all kids around this age. It is strange and certainly frustrating for us as moms to have a child go from loving tubby time to hating it. Some experts say its because they are developing a sense of independence and want to do the opposite that we want them to. I dont know, how to make it more enjoyable or fun. With my son (now 3), and my SO's son (16mo) and my neice (18mo) I just kept right on with the tubby's. I demand in a stern voice they sit and i show them how to splash the water with their feet and hands and gave my neice some measuring cups and showed her how to fill one with the other. I also only put about 2-4 inches of water in and make sure that the water is off before we walk in the bathroom. I have taught my neice to look up so I can wash her hair but my SO's son i still am using a wash cloth to gently wash. Good Luck and keep at it. it gets better
    lildqsmama

Answer by lildqsmama at 7:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Take them in the bathtub with you.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My son was the same way one day he just was terrifed of bathrooms and I don't know why. I started bathing him in my other bathroom he cried too but days went by and he was fine. Kids are just weird like that :)

amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 7:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It's common for children to realize a fear after seeming to like it before. Maybe if you show him videos, read him books, or something of that nature of kids having fun in the bathtub. It might help ease him out of his fear.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• When my son began doing that about 12 months I just bathed him in the kitchen sink for a while. He was okay. Eventually we worked up to the tub again. We did have DH get in a bubble tub and call him in there. No pressure to get in..just talking to him. Sort of showing him it's okay with no expectations that he had to get in the tub.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2011