Is this true?

I was just reading an old article in The Stir, catching up on what I've missed over the last few days. I read the article on male's breast feeding, it was more of a comedic relief, but then someone commented that technically it was possible for men to breast feed. Really? Is this accurate? I googled it and all i got were weird images of men breast feeding dolls.

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Just for Fun

• You can nurse pretty much anything that has nipples.. LMAO Meet the parents :)

idk but thats gross. i dont think they make milk ducts
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Our happy hour fact to amaze your drinking buddies with.

All men have the biological components needed to lactate, and there have been isolated instances of men breast-feeding their young.

One of the more recent cases took place in 2002, when a Sri Lankan man, whose wife was gravely ill, took his 18-month-old daughter to his breast and found he could produce milk.

During pregnancy a woman's pituitary gland produces a hormone called prolactin, which triggers lactation. But, under the right psychological circumstances, a woman who adopts a child can also breast-feed. Likewise, in even rarer cases, a man with a child in need can wet nurse.

A word of caution: If you are a man who chooses to breast-feed, it may be best to keep your buddies in the dark about your freakishly unsettling talent.

ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• yes, it is possible.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_lactation

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• GOOD QUESTION BUT KIND OF DISTURBING
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 8:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It is possible. A bit unusual and creepy, but possible. lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 8:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Crazy! My question is this: Why would a guy even try to find out? lol Just kinda weird
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I researched it more, because wikipedia isn't exactly factual information, and I just couldn't believe it. There have been spontaneous situations where a man produced milk droplets after nipple stimulation from an infant, however it takes several hours for just a few drops, and the milk has never been tested to see what it consists of, or to be compared to a mothers breast milk. So in all technicality, man can produce droplets of something, but there is no recognized scientific/medically backed study that proves men actually lactate to the full extent of a women. And therefore it can be considered a cool party trick, and I guess in dire circumstances some liquid is better then none for an infant, but its never been proven beyond a doubt that men can breast feed. So there ya go, learn something new everyday lol
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011