Sprain, strain or nothing?

My 2 and a half year old son spent the night at my parent's house last night because I had to have a tonsillectomy yesterday. When they brought him home today, they told me he kept saying he had a boo-boo on his leg and wouldn't walk on it. My mom said she tried to get him out of his car seat last night and his foot got caught between the front and back seat but he was fine all last night.

I checked it out and it doesn't look swollen or bruised, nor does it seem tender. He didn't seem to mind me touching it but he won't put ANY weight on it at all, not even limping. I was debating on taking him to the urgent care center (pediatrician was closed today) but he doesn't act like anything's wrong, besides not walking. I plan to call my pedi tomorrow if he's doing the same thing, but could he be faking? I didn't really think at 2 years old that he'd be able to figure out how to fake something like that but he seems fine...anyone have an experience like this?

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IMO, not walking on it at all IS acting like something is wrong. I don't think a 2 year old would fake that.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Prob nothing.... my 2 yr old did this with her wrist she fell a small distance and didnt even really fall ON it but she thought she did and wouldnt use it for anything for like 12 hours then forgot about it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• He could be faking but you would see him walking on it while he thinks your not looking. If he's not walking on it at all I would call the doctor becuase the normally means he really does have a boo-boo. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Maybe a strain, I would take him to the pediatrician. Maybe some tylenol to ease the pain.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It sounds like it could be a sprain (dealing with a ligament) since it got caught between the door and there is no tenderness. Id take it seriously if I were you. On Friday I strained (dealing with the muscle) my hip and technichally nothing is wrong with me, but I have been limping because of it. He probably can't put much pressure on it because its so low on the leg, but even if its nothing id rather be sure. Either way rest and ice will help with pain.
    Nicolenew

Answer by Nicolenew at 8:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• could be a muscle strain
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011