Bleeding with mirena IUD adult content

How long should you constantly bleed after getting an IUD. This is not spotting it was heavy for 17 days then just stopped all together for one night and then this after noon started again like a regular period amount not to heavy not to light. I called the GYN office this past monday and the receptionist told me to wait another week if it doesn't go away to call back. What could this be?

Mommabearofone

Asked by Mommabearofone at 8:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Health

• When I had mine I noticed I would bleed (like a normal period) whenever I was stressed. It could be every other week or once a month it just depended on me. How long have you had your IUD?
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It can vary, i didnt bleed at all. My friend bled for 3 months... weird i know... it was her period but anyway, it really just depends on how your body handles the BC
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• The Mirena it self can cause bleeding, it can induce your period to have it placed, and it can cause an internal scratch if your Dr. wasn't careful and all those would cause you to bleed. Usually within 4-6 weeks of getting it you shouldn't notice any side effects, and if you do its reason for concern. Or if you're filling a pad in hour in bleeding, that's not normal. Anything else is probably just normal placement bleeding and will hopefully go away. I had Mirena for almost 3 years and there was some bleeding in the beginning, and then it stopped completely for 2 whole years. Good Luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It can last for a few months..it depends on how your body handles it. I do hope you don't have the same issues I - and sooo many others - had with it. Good luck.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 8:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I just got it Jan 17 the bleeding started Jan 24
    Mommabearofone

Comment by Mommabearofone (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• my dr told me i could bleed up to 6 months. I only bled for 2 months and now i dont even have a period anymore.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My Dr said up to 6 months of spotting. I spot continually for around 4 months. The last half of that time was just barely enough to be annoying. Once that ended, I haven't had a period since. That was 4 yrs ago.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:29 AM on Feb. 11, 2011