what should a daily routine be like for a 8 week old? i am trying to see how many hours i can work from home... so far about zero!

a first time stay at home mom is having trouble finding a schedule that will allow me to work from home with my 8 week old. to be honest, i'm not even sure it's possible. she only goes to sleep for 15 minute to one hour intervals... am i correct that her awake times will only increase? am i kidding myself to think i'll be able to work from home part-time AND take care of my baby?

s_wren_mom

Asked by s_wren_mom at 2:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• LMAO!! Good luck with that! You're gonna need it!!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I work from home part time, but it depends on what kind of job it is. The job I have, I can pretty much set my own weird hours. When my DD was small, I would put her in her swing for a while and work then and then work the majority of the time after she went down for the night (She was sleeping through the night at 3 weeks). Now that she is 8 months, she plays by herself for a while when I work and I still work after she goes to bed.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Yes, their awake time will increase, but so will their sleeping times-as soon as they get onto a schedule! Our 6mo. old has been on a fairly good schedule from around 4mo. of age..... When you can get your little one to play more on her own, then you could work while she is awake.... I know our 6mo. old is good at playing on her own for the most part...... I have a preschooler and a toddler-so she doesn't always get all the attention(the baby) because I have to deal w/those other 2 as well!!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I don't know what you do when you put her down for her nap. Be sure to wrap your daughter tightly in a blanket. She will feel secure just like she did when she was in the womb. The baby swing is a mom's best friend. It kind of simulates what she experienced in utero when you walked. One last thing, try letting her cry no more than 10 minutes. My two oldest children would fall back asleep and sleep much longer. My youngest son, when he cried, he was up for good.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My daughter was like that at 8 weeks and now she is SO MUCH better. She's like a whole new baby. Good luck!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I found that looking back on it, it would have been easier for me to go back to school when my first son was a newborn than it was when I eventually went back when he was two. Take advantage of naps if she is on any sort of schedule and she will soon (hopefully) enjoy laying on the floor playing and be fascinated by your computer. You will probably be amazed at all you can accomplish, because look what you have done so far? Maybe start out agreeing to a half day of work (4 hours) and go from there. You may find you get more done in 4 hours at home than you did in 8 at the office. Again though, she will start sleeping on a more regular schedule and being able to "self-entertain" at around 4 months.
    2Potato

Answer by 2Potato at 6:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2008