5 day fever?

My 6 year old boy has had a fever for 5 days. It started on Sunday at 103.0, and has fluctuated since between 101.5 and 102. He has had a persisant cough as well that does not get much better with cough medicine. We took him to the doctor yesterday and they said he has no signs of bronchitis, RSV or pneumonia. His chest is clear.. no sinus or ear infection. He has had a low appetite, is drinking as best as we can get him to, and sleeps 1 - 2 times a day (usually no naps). The doctor gave him a breathing treatment which actually seemed to worsen his cough, and gave him an inhaler, which seems to help a little. We also got a cool mist humidifier. He was able to sleep last night with minimal interuption. He just seems to have attacks of coughing. No history of asthma.

I'm not too happy about this fever and cough lasting. Nothing is getting worse or better. I am calling his doc again tomorrow if he is still the same.

Anyone dealt with this or have any ideas what I am dealing with here?

VelvetCat

Asked by VelvetCat at 8:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• well that stinks! I would take him back in a day or two if it continues. I have no answers... other than to say kids get odd illnesses that some times remain nameless. I have 3 kids the oldest being 16 and over the years they have had a couple odd illnesses that we just had to wait out. But that fever, that high for that long worries me. I know that mono was going around our elementary school recently. Perhaps see if there are some blood tests they can do to eliminate other illnesses.  

Anonymous

• Did they test for influenza? My kids rarely run a fever for longer than 3 days, but a lower grade fever can sometimes take longer to burn itself out.

For the cough, especially at night, put Vicks Vapor Rub on the bottoms of his feet and cover with socks (or footie pj's.) It helps. I even use it on my asthmatic self. Another remedy that a friend swears by is soak a couple of slices of onion in some honey for 15 minutes and then give him the honey. She said her kids love it. Happily, I haven't had occasion to try it yet.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It is an awefull feeling when our babies are sick.I hope that he get's well soon in the mean time give him cool baths to keep fever down and popsicle's if he won't take fluid's.I am just wondering...Could it be whooping cough? ask the doctor
    Mommy1234321

Answer by Mommy1234321 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• not wooping cough. it isnt that intense....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Poor kid! My son had that recently (he was 16 months at the time) - fever for days and coughing. Probably because he was still very young, the doctor wanted to see him every day or two to make sure nothing got worse (and I was happy for the help!) It went away and he was fine. Keep in touch with the doctor or nurse and ask make sure they know of any changes (or anything that should change but doesn't). Honey really really helps with the cough. Try to put some honey and lemon in warm water (it's very yummy!) and see if he'll drink it. Or just let him suck on a spoon of honey when his cough is bad. Good luck to him!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• honey hasnt helped at all. i think the inhaler might be hleping a bit, a long with the humidifirer. He still cant talk for long without it coming on strong though....
    VelvetCat

Comment by VelvetCat (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2011