Moms of Children with aspergers- please read and help me out

For moms out there with children with aspergers, can you please tell me what are the symptoms, what kinds of things go on, how do you handle tough situations? how have you learned to deal with it? We are still looking to adopt and I know there are some kids out there that have it, so me and my hubby would like to know whats all involved. thankyou ahead of time!

OurHeartsAwait

Asked by OurHeartsAwait at 8:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• A LOT is involved. It is a lifetime disorder, and chances are they will not fully function in an adult world, which will mean you will be caring for them until you die. That sounds harsh. Yes they could do a group home thing, and some DO function well as adults, but not all. I worked with a lot of Autistic children and only a minor amt are functioning adults.
    I am not discouraging you, but just make sure you are educated on any type of mental health disorder....short term and long term affects, as well as yes ... how to deal with, handle, discipline, and care for. It takes special people to live day in and day out with a special needs child and adult.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It depends on the level of severity - which can be dramatic, from kids who will always need special care even as adults, to people who will be able to go to college (and do quite well!) and live a very typical life. Temple Grandin (she is very well known in autism circles) has said that she thinks it's likely that as many as half or more of the CEOs in Silicon Valley have aspergers or high functioning autism.
    My oldest son has autism. He's in special ed classes and will live with us forever. My middle son has aspergers. He's in all AG classes and is several years ahead of even his AG classmates in math. He has an amazing memory and knows how to get around town better than I do, because he remembers everywhere we've ever been. He can tell you what day of the week X date will be in Z years. But he understands social cues (b/c we've taught him) and has friends that he plays with. Most people think he's typical.

Answer by missanc at 9:41 AM on Feb. 11, 2011