What changes did you notice after putting your kids into a day care?

I am going back to work. The dad is fairly out of the picture, on a regular basis anyways. I will be going back to work, part time, and the kids will be put into daycare. They are 16m and 2 1/2. So it will be a shorter day for them rather than a long day, every day. Good for them and good for me.
I'm hoping some positive changes generate from this after they transition into it. Like, maybe possibly sleeping better at night. Obviously getting more social skills as well. But I am mostly wondering if your babies had stayed home with you the first couple years of life, did they switch to a new routing fairly easily? And if you are a single mom did it kind of give you a break and help you be more patient with your kids when you were together?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 8:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am a single mom and stayed home with my daughter until she was 2. There are both good and bad things ---
    GOOD -- They definitly develop social skills and learn to get-along with other children
    They learn to share; They typically do better in school once they start (advance in some cases); They get ever-changing stimuli and don't really have the opportunity to get bored. They build up their immune system. They are exposed to different people (which can be good or bad)
    BAD -- They get sick more often (a lot more often at first); They pick up bad behaviors from other children and will likely get bitten; They may cry every day at first when you leave them (this was very very hard for me and I quit 2 jobs before learning how to deal with this);
    There are other good an bad things -- I just cant think of them at the moment! Do what you have to do mom -- I have no regrets for putting my child in daycare.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• AND yes -- It definitly will help you be more patient with your children -- at least it did me. We immensely enjoy evenings and weekends together. Although I am single, I do not date, so she gets ALL my free time.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I was hoping you'd get lots of answers - I'm curious about this too! My 18 month son just started part-time daycare (sounds a lot like you guys). But don't be shocked if your 16 month old has a lot of trouble adapting. That's a tough age to leave mama. We're struggling with this right now. It breaks my heart - the place is so nice, but he still cries almost all day (and I've been crying a lot too). We're sticking with it for now and it's getting a little better each week, so I'm hopeful.

And if you can afford it, start giving your kids probiotics to help boost their immune system to they don't get sick as much! They sell Culturelle Kids at CVS (easy to find and give). I've heard all the stories about how kids are literally ALWAYS sick... but 2 weeks in, my son has had only 1 cold that lasted 3 days and yesterday he got a little runny nose that seems to be clearing up today. I don't know... but it seems to be working!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011