Emotional IQ: How do you become a relationship expert ?

When I read the "Emotional Intelligence" book, I felt there is so much I'd like to know about relationships, effective communication and understanding my beloved ones.

Do you feel you've got the instinct or skill to effectively communicate with your beloved ones ?

lillyblue111

Asked by lillyblue111 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• I communicate well...it's my ex SO who couldn't listen well! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 8:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I agree with the first answer. I communicate exactly what I am expecting. LOL It's not my problem the ex has selective hearing.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Just follow your heart and your gut instincts. Stick to the truth always. And remember to breathe!!!!! Then, it's just as important that you listen and hear what the other person is saying.
    Jmcelroy

Answer by Jmcelroy at 9:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• First two replies said exactly what I would say lol. If the other person chooses not to speak...well, that's on him/her. You can only do with what you can control. We can communicate, we can express in body language or outright bluntness and see if anyone understands us because I'm sure we can understand what others say if they were to express similar communications. I'd recommend "The 5 love languages" as another guide to help you learn about expressing and understanding communication. G'luck with your venture and discovery...
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 9:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I have a much better understanding of things then I do of expression of things. I'm not so great at expressing. Apparently, as I've been told. I hold back when I should express, or I let things out when I should maybe keep things to myself. I give good advice, but when it comes to following it myself, I fall short. As for becoming a 'expert', IDK if anyone is a quote un-quote expert. But everything comes with experience.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Are you referencing the book by Daniel Goleman? I have the book "Social Intelligence" also by Mr. Goleman, and I've read a few excerpts from the Emotional Intelligence book. It's pretty good. Personally, I feel that emotional intelligence is something that one has to work at constantly. Some people seem like they know how to treat people well naturally, but I've noticed that even these people falter occasionally if they have to work with someone who falls outside their normal comfort zone. I would say I've been spending a life time getting better and better at communicating, and I have several years left that I'd like to continue to hone my skills. Happy Reading.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2011