nose bleeds

My 6yr son will be sleeping and then wake up from his nose bleeding? This has happened to him several times now. Not every night but maybe once a month and sometimes twice a month. He sleeps face down on the pillow with his mouth on the end so he can still breathe. I keep reminding him to not sleep like that but he still does.

naomi411

Asked by naomi411 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It could be the air is too dry - maybe try a humidifier.

I've also heard that nosebleeds could be a sign of heart problems.

More likely than not it's the former, not the latter.
    Anonymous

• My son gets lots of nose bleeds, like you describe. It is often due to dry air. I have him use the saline nasal spray a couple of times a day (when he brushes his teeth in the am and pm) and it really helps.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Nosebleeds are more common in the winter, especially if your home is dry. It has to due with the lack of humidity in the air. A humidifier should solve the problem. It is unlikely that the nosebleeds are related to how he is sleeping.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My nine year old daughter gets them too and her Dr suggested the same thing, the saline nasal spray and a cool-mist humidifier in her room and both seem to work. They were worse when she was younger and her Dr recommended that we have it cauterized and that helped also. GL!

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• my sons been getting them alot lately my dr told me to rub vaseline on the inside of his nose before bed and to use a humidifier
    bittersweet7791

Answer by bittersweet7791 at 1:03 AM on Nov. 25, 2008