Marriages with Ethnicity / Racial differences ?

Do you know any couples with Ethnicity or Racial differences ?
Do these relationships work out ?
How do their families react to such marriages ?
Any advise or thoughts on how to treat your hb's family, how to gain their acceptance and bond with them ?

* * *

lillyblue111

Asked by lillyblue111 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• My hub is black, I am white.  First, don't do anything to gain ANYONES approval.  You don't need it.  The only person who needs to approve of you is yourself.  And let me tell you, you'll be respected more just for being yourself.  Both of our families were pissed off.  You are already starting off wrong in my opinion for treating this as a big deal when it isn't.  If you psych yourself up, you are going to say something ridiculous or do something ridiculous.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Do any relationships "work out"?  YES.  So therefore, interracial relationships work out.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Mrs Houston 47302, I love your way of thinking, in this and many other answers in the past ! Thank you !
    lillyblue111

Comment by lillyblue111 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My fiance is black and I'm hispanic. Our families are accepting of our relationship(except for my brother, but I don't like him anyhow). We adore each other and get along wonderfully. Our son is a normal child, growing up with 2 beautiful cultures and languages. The only trouble we get is from strangers. Usually ugly looks or nasty comments. It hurts sometimes, but we ignore it all. We were blessed in finding each other :)
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 9:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Awww thanks!  That's funny because mentally I was giving you a hug, lol.  I remember how nervous I was and constantly trying to do and say the right things.  I was hoping that my answer didn't come off as rude because that's not how I mean't it!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Oh and my hub and I have a great relationship.  You have to deal with things that you aren't use to if you haven't been in an interracial relationship before.  The snide comments, the dirty looks.  Hold your head high and roll on by.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Raccoon, : your story is also special ! Thanks for sharing this :) !!!

Inter-racial relationships prove that true love is colorblind, and for this it can see deeply through the heart and psyche !

lillyblue111

Comment by lillyblue111 (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'm white, my husband is south asian. We have been married for twelve years and have three children. I really do not see race as an issue for us. I do see culture as an issue with his family. It's not really common for south asian people in our area to marry outside their own ethnic group. My dh's family is a little bizarre in that they really did not raise the kids in the south asian community (in fact, they really didn't 'raise' the kids that much at all- they were very hands-off parents.) But they still have an expectation that dh will be close to them and defer to their judgment and things like that, even though they have really never been close. It does make things strained with his family sometimes- but I think it's only half cultural and the other half is just general family dysfunction! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'm white, my husband is Native American. The only on who was disappointed with the match was his mom. I wasn't going to bust my buns wining her approval, but it turned out a little went a long way. I asked to attend a local Pow Wow with her, I learned how to make fry bread and, in casual ways, I let her know that I was happy to include Native American culture in my life (and in the life of our future kids.)
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• hubby is mexican and guatamalan. im white. my parents dont like him and i dont really care for them. hubby and i have been together 13 yrs and married for 4. the only other time that we get any looks is when we are all out us and the 2 kids. people stare at us and we just keep on going. my son is 3 and we ask him what color is daddy and he will say brown, then what color is sissy dd is 2 and he says brown sometimes yellow, ok ds what color are u and he says brown then we ask what color is mommy and he says yellow. he notices that we are different but neither kid cares. we have black family members that we all love dearly it doesnt matter to us what color u are
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 9:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2011