What do I give my 2 and1/2 year old for a cough and runny nose?

musicbutterfly

Asked by musicbutterfly at 9:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I always gave mine dimetap for a runny nose, and for coughs, rub vicks on her feet and put socks on her.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• There are few things approved for that age. We use Hyland's Homepathic Cough and Cold for Kids, and last year we had found some Advil Cold that was for age 2 and up, but we weren't able to find it this cold season. I figured with whatever recalls and medication concerns had happened in the meantime caused it to not be available.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 9:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• we did dimetap or robitussin for nose and also did the vicks on her chest back and feet then put socks on her. it really works. make sure u have a humidifier as well to help put some moisture in the air.
    kdm077

Answer by kdm077 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• thank you for the tips, I am on my way to the store right now..Never heard of putting Vicks on the feet though
    musicbutterfly

Comment by musicbutterfly (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• We like a saline mist and a humidifier with a raised mattress when he sleeps for the coughing.

new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• runny nose, I just keep it wiped and rub bag balm on their nose to keep it from getting sore. For a cough we do vapor rub and steamy showers, and tea with honey.

on yeah, and elevated sleeping. Don't want that runny nose to build up in her sinus cavity and cause sinus pressure.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• don't medicate to rid a runny nose or cough. the body has a runny nose and cough for a reason. getting rid of dead cells is one. where do they go if you stop the body from its natural elimination process?
    humidifier is great for the entire winter, and not just when a cold comes along.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 14, 2011