A question about using a serger sewing machine

I am making cloth wipes. And I just bought a serger to do it. But, do I serge one side and then clip the thread and then go to another side? I did this with one of the wipes, and when I clipped the thread close to the fabric, it looks like the thread can easily just come loose. Am I doing it wrong? Is there a way to ensure the thread stays like when you sew in reverse on a normal sewing machine?

CaptivatedByGod

Asked by CaptivatedByGod at 9:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Serge around the corners. Do not stop and start.
    CBG. You are not saying that you went out and bought a serger so you could make cloth wipes, are you?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• LOL Well....sort of. I have a very old Kenmore sewing machine and I tried to do a zig zag stitch around the edges. But, it looked horrible. And seeing that a lot of my wanna be projects need serging around the edges, I bought one. But, yeah...I bought it for the cloth wipes.
    CaptivatedByGod

Comment by CaptivatedByGod (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• If you want the corners to be square, you can slip the thread off the shuttle, back it up, and keep going. I've made a lot of cloth napkins and they can look very professionally made.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Okay. Maybe I'm just a little dense. But, it still doesn't make sense about how I'm supposed to finish the edges. I have a Brother Serger with twin needles. And I have tried to just go all the way around the edges without stopping and I couldn't figure out how to do it. It wasn't working. I tried lifting the pressure foot and putting my fabric corner under the needle, but the thread would catch the corner of the fabric and it wouldn't work.
    CaptivatedByGod

Comment by CaptivatedByGod (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2011