Anyone plan to deliver naturally but end up with a c-section?

My first baby was delivered vaginally but with pitocin, an epidural and demirol afterwards to curb the pain during repairs. He was tilted a little and came out with a lopsided cone head which fixed itself in a matter of a day or so, no big deal.

This baby, however, so far is breach, laying very much on my right side and face down...head in my right ribs. I'm only 28 weeks and although she's quite active I can't help but wonder what will happen if she doesn't turn in time. I'm not overly worried or anything, I'm just curious how you handled something like this. Or how you would handle it if it came up.

Thanks, girls!

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 9:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• There are breech positions that are safe to birth vaginally. Most doctors are not experienced or comfortable with it, but you can find one who will do it for you. Or better yet, a midwife who will (homebirth too! It's fantastic, I've done it!). Or you can always go in and say that you refuse a C-section unless it becomes medically necessary when you go into labor.

You have tons of options. I recommend visiting www.ican-online.org and reading about them, and researching vaginal breech birth.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• well my son was enduced with the pitocin and all the night before i did have epadural to help with pain but my cervix wasnt big enough for him to pass through so he would never drop down far enough to push..so after about 25 hours of labor they decided to take him c-section..of course i was so exhausted i didnt care but it wasnt at all that bad.. pretty sore after meds wear off but nothing i couldnt handle..then with my daughter i also had csection bc i already had my son that way so i just went in at 6 that morning and she was here in less then an hour and that included prep and all..i would do it again if i could =)
    kdm077

Answer by kdm077 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I just had a c section last week...it is nothing like a normal birth...my 1st child was delivered natural but my 2nd was s c section. During the surgery i dnt feel anything it just feels like someone. Is poking u, ur whole body is num even ur fingers. Its afterwards when u feel all the pain! It kinda feels like a very sharp contration..Ur going to be bloated and it will take awhile to pass gas which u would want to. It is very pain experiance if u thought natural was bad it is no where near it..It hurts to walk laugh get off the bed etc.. But u will have pain meds make sure u take them on time, it helps alot! I hope everything goes well for u and hopefully u wont have to have a c section...Good luck girl.
    spanisheyes552

Answer by spanisheyes552 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• EwansMommy, I wouldn't worry too much. At least two of my 12 nieces and nephews (hubby has a large family) were breach until the very last minute. I'm talking 11th hour kind of thing.

As long as you are open and honest with your doctor about what you want, and have a birth plan in place you should be golden. My son wound up being an emergency C-section because his head was too big. My daughter was a planned (doc gave us 50/50 chances) C-section and good thing too, her head was the same size as her brother's.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• www.spinningbabies.com

There's good suggestions for getting breeches to turn on that site. It's definately a good time to start, even though you have lots of time before it's a concern. Just start now and she'll turn :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Thank you for that website. I'll go check it out. I really really don't want to have a c-section and would like as little intervention as possible. I mentioned this at my appointment today and my doctor is totally cool with it so that makes me feel more comfortable. I understand that sometimes it is absolutely necessary, though, but I'm not familiar with the different breech positions that are still safe to deliver vaginally. I will do some more research. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Awesome info here (http://www.ican-online.org/pregnancy/breech)! Thanks again Ati!
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Thanks, spanish! I am praying she'll turn in the coming weeks. I've had my appendix out, gallbladder removed and weight loss surgery. That's more than my fair share of abdominal surgery so I really REALLLLLLLY don't want a c-section. I will be trying everything in my power to get her to move.
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Ati, that's exactly why I'm asking now. I figure if I work at this for the next few weeks hopefully she'll start moving. Plus I'm a Type A, OCD, Control Freak! lol
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2011