A question about fostering kids...

I don't want to sound blunt, but, do you get financial help when you foster children? I really want to help give some of these kids a home, but our income is really tight as it is.

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 3:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Adoption

• Yes, you do receive financial assistance for fostering children and in many cases you will qualify for food stamp assistance to help feed the kids. Also, in my state the state will provide medical assistance for the kids. I am a foster mom. :)
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My MIL is a foster mom and she receives financial help that well compensates what she needs for the kids. My MIL does not use food stamps (I think in our state, food is included in the compensation), but all the foster children do receive Medicaid. She does emergency foster care for children age 6 years or younger.

That's great that you're interested in becoming a foster parent! From what I've observed, there are going to be tough days, but it is completely worth it. When my hubby and I are ready, we fully plan on becoming foster parents ourselves.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 3:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I'm sure it varies state to state, but yes, you normally get some sort of financial assistance as well as WIC (if they are young enough) and usually they are on a medical assistance program. Our state reimburses mileage for appointments, etc. we have with the children. With that said, the money is not a lot. It's usually a set rate and it's not a whole lot. Where I live it's about $21 per day per child. Most importantly, it's not about money when you foster...if you have a heart and a home for these children, then that's all that truly matters. A lot of times they'll get clothing vouchers too so they can have some new clothing.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you do get financial assistance. They are covered by a state healthcare program. So the out of pocket expenses you have should be minimal. But, as said by others, it is not a lot of money. It is not a way to supplement income. The only good reason to foster is to help a child in need. DH and I have discussed doing it when our kids are out of our home, but definitely not before. (We tried to adopt thru foster care and know the issues most of the foster kids come with. We will not endanger our kids. So we'll just wait. We did go overseas and get an older, spec needs kid. Best thing we ever did.)
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 3:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Yes, you get assistance. But as others have said not alot. We get about $12 a day for our daughter (I say our daughter, she was adopted through foster care and her monthly payment contiues until age 18). They are covered under the state medical plan, which you have the option to continue if you adopt (we did..have you seen the cost of health isurance jeesh!). We didn't get a clothing voucher for her, but our agency went shopping for her and bought all kinds of new clothes. We also got a new crib (already had a 5mo. old in a crib) and mattress and bedding for it.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 2:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I don't know if it matters, but we didn't go through the state for our foster care license, we went through a private agency. I've heard if you go through the state, you have a better chance of getting a placement sooner, but we LOVE our agency and refused to switch to the state system. We've gotten about 5 calls in two years. Not alot, but we got our daughter out of it, so it was a good choice for us! Just remember, it's not about the money you get...it's about the love you have to give to a child. The money is nothing compared to home that these children desperately need!
    LizClara

• In my state, you do get paid. There are different levels of pay depending on the severity of the child's issues. Some children are "Regular Foster Care" and others are "Treatment Foster Care."
    Treatment involves kids that have had a lot of neglect and abuse. They require a lot of therapy and patience. Love alone will not make them behave. Discipline is important.(Not spanking) It pays well to foster but you do have to be very involved.
    emptynestmom456

Answer by emptynestmom456 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I have some links that might help you and others looking to foster and/or adopt. Seems there is quite a bit of financial incentive/help for those wishing to foster and/or adopt from the fostercare system. I think I would call it 'adoption welfare'. I sincerely doubt that any natural mother in financial straits (no abuse) is getting this much monetary help to raise her own children.

http://www.nacac.org/adoptionsubsidy/summary.html
    http://www.nacac. org/adoptionsubs idy/stateprofile s.html
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 9:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• In my state, you have to have the financial means to take care of your family without the board payments but you are paid which should go to buying the children things. You can't just foster kids as a way to make money...it's unethical...but if you can already support your own family + have some extra now, then being approved for foster care is possible.
    Anonymous

• Oh no no no.... I'm not talking about supplementing my income! That would just be WRONG! I meant that my heart is in it...and I really want to help a child have a home, but we aren't wealthy by any means.
    I really want more kids, but every pregnancy for me is a risky one... so I'm thinking about foster care, and possibly adoption. My husband isn't crazy about the adoption idea though, because he says he can't feel like someone else's child is "ours". My DH is a good man, I just think that he's afaid he'll play favorites, y'know?
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2008