Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Peanut Butter allergies

I know this sounds a little mean, but does anyone else think that an entire class sound be band from eating peanut butter because one child has an allergy, my son love PB&J and other peanut filled foods, I have to pack lunches at their school but my choices of food that he actully eat is limited because of this other childs allergy.

Answer Question
 
greenbeanmoma

Asked by greenbeanmoma at 9:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

Level 12 (756 Credits)
Answers (20)
  • Depends how severe their allergy is and how young they are. I know a child who is so allergic that a touch can almost kill him so in that situation I think it's the least another child can do.
    leah_rai

    Answer by leah_rai at 9:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • They are 4th grade, its so frustrating .
    greenbeanmoma

    Comment by greenbeanmoma (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I do understand your frustration although I understand the schools point as well. A child that is allergic to peanuts or peanut butter could die if they come in contact with either of these products. Think of it this way. if your child had the allergy and could die from these products would you want other kids around them being able to eat them?

    At our school we have a peanut free table so students can bring in peanut butter and students with allergies have their own space. I guess some schools feel it is better to not have any peanut products in the school then have to deal with issues.

    Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Depends on how severe the allergy is. If they child will have an anaphalatic reaction from the smell, yes it should be banned. How would YOU feel if it was YOUR child with a life threatening allergy and parents are complaining because they are being inconvienced? Sorry, but I would not send the peanut butter because I would feel awful if that child had a life threatening reaction because I was selfish.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I know how you feel. I am big PB&J person. Peanut butter was basiclaly how I got my protein pre-kid...and it just so happen my first born is that one kid you are desribing (plus there's another kid who is allergic to all nuts)...Trust, me I feel terrible that her allergy is really inconveniencing everyone else. But the alternative is she can die, or have a severe reaction that we need to take her to the hospital after using the epi pen, or have her be excluded from other kids parties...honestly it maybe selfish for me to say this, but I believe a little inconvenience is worth a little girls' life or self-esteem? Thanks for being understanding.
    Olivia4116

    Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • It can be a serious issue. I have a child who is allergic to tree nuts and peanuts. I do let my other two children have peanut butter, but I am cautious and there at all times and know how to react if something should happen. At school there is less control.
    MommyPeck3

    Answer by MommyPeck3 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I dont send him with PB&J or any other peanut filled foods I would feel terrible if something happened to her, I just wonder if they shouldn't have a place for the kids with the allergy
    greenbeanmoma

    Comment by greenbeanmoma (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I am allergic to nuts -- and if peanut butter even touches my skin, the oil is absorbed and I have to be rushed to the hospital and get about 20 shots -- in the stomach -- I start swelling to twice my size all over and can't breathe. It's terrible -- and I am an adult. I can't imagine how young children with this allergy must feel! I did nt develop the allergy until I was 25 -- so I LOVED peanut butter until then! So sorry for you guys who have children with this -- The holidays can also be a HUGE bummer with all the food that has nuts!
    BaileysMom476

    Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Yes, I do think the entire class should be banned if just 1 child has an allergy, because that 1 child could die. My son has an allergy to peanuts and I don't understand the whining behind peanut free schools. My son could DIE because your child brings in pb&j... Is your son going to die from not eating that for lunch? NO... He can go home and have it as his after school snack every single day, but if just 1 child brings peanut butter to my sons class room he might not come home that day. How selfish can you be? Some children's allergies are so bad if someone in another room has peanut butter and the child smells it they'll still react. My son just has to be touched to have a reaction, so if your kid was lazy and didn't wash his hands after lunch my child could die. Feed your kid pb&j and home, they won't starve to death because they can't have it for lunch.
    ba13ygrl1987

    Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Well having a child with a PA. If you are educated knowing what can possibly happen with even the smell of PB, you might have a little more consideration. It is no joke.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN