For homeschooling mothers...(didn't know what category to put this under)

My son is turning 2 in a few months and i'm wanting to start teaching him early on his numbers and letters. Ok, i am teaching him now, by pointing things out throughout the day, but what i mean is i want to start something like, sitting him down and doing letters, numbers, ect. I know it's possible to get a 2 year old to sit, listen, and so some work, even though they have short attention spans. I used to be a preschool teacher. I've already got the corriculum that i'm wanting to use. My question is, how do you separate "home" from "school", when they're in the same place? Oh, i also have a 17 week old DD that i'd have to take care of as well. Any suggestions as to how to work this out and what to do would be great! thanks in advance.

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 3:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• We do school work at the kitchen table. I have a small place so we can't have a room just for that. We do it at the same time about 4 time a week, mon is usually library day and arts day. For me it is all about being on a schedule.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Is there a reason you SHOULD seperate "school" from "home"? My kids do their work at the dinningroom table. I don't think that sitting a child down at the table to do work at 2 is a great idea. I think that everything should be play at this point. Give him a can of playdough and some of those cookie cutters that are shaped like ABC's and 123's. Read, read, read! Just keep pointing things out like you already are. I think by 3 they should be able to sit and attempt at writing their name...but never push it :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I recommend you read Karen Andreaola's books. Also the book, Better late than early.
    I don't recommend "doing school at home". We homeschool. It is different. School revolves around life, not the other way around. We do have some rules. We do math every day. We go to the library every week. School/chores are done before video games. My kids right now are doing Math (nathan), Making lunch (Emily), Spanish (Nick). When they were young we watched alot of educational tv, did many field trips and played.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Answered at 2:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 by: ReneeK3
    Is there a reason you SHOULD seperate "school" from "home"? My kids do their work at the dinningroom table. I don't think that sitting a child down at the table to do work at 2 is a great idea. I think that everything should be play at this point. Give him a can of playdough and some of those cookie cutters that are shaped like ABC's and 123's. Read, read, read! Just keep pointing things out like you already are. I think by 3 they should be able to sit and attempt at writing their name...but never push it :)

Well, i don't mean have him write his name...lol...the curriculum i've decided to use more like has them color the number one, do some crafts, ect. nothing really hard, since two's can't really write yet.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• No, no...I didn't think that's what you were doing, lol. Just some people think they need to start really early with some things when they really don't. I say just keep it fun and entertaining. Like have him fingerpaint the ABC's or something. Kids love paint!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I really disagree with forcing young preschoolers to sit and learn. Flashcards and workbooks can wait. There is SOOO much of that ahead of him and it is so boring, dry, and non-creative. Why squash his love of learning so young? Why not make learning fun and active? As an early childhood educator, you should be well aware of how young preschoolers learn best and how boys in particular learn best. It's not with sit at the kitchen table and have lessons.
    Examples:
    Make the letter of the day out of playdoh. Draw that letter on the sidewalk in chalk while he scribbles too. As he gets older, have him trace the letters or make them in fingerpaint. Make a small hopscotch board with letters or numbers and have him jump on the square that you name.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• In your push to get the ABC's and 123's into his head, don't forget all the other things he is supposed to be learning in these years.
    Science tops the list. Where are you most likely to find roly polys? What happens to a snowball that you bring inside? Why can't you pour more water into a glass that is already full? Why is it so hard to stack more blocks on top of a round block?
    Next on the list is how to get along with others. How to share. How to consider things from another child's point of view. How to work with another child to solve problems.
    Then there are the fine motor skills. Yes, you can give him worksheets and teach him to trace letters. Or you can encourage him to paint with fingerpaints, make monsters out of playdoh, learn to fasten his own clothes. Anything that gets him to use his fingers is building this skill - and it doesn't have to be boring.
    kaycee14

• kaycee14, i understand "hand's on" and all that, being a 2 &3 yr old preschool teacher i had learned all that. I would't just be having him sit and color/paint/glue (feathers,beans, cheerios,ect) one the number/letter of the week, that would just a part of it. i have plenty of things, like "color bag" (putting things of the color of the week in a bag. ex: color of the week is red: put everything you can think of that's red in the bag, and for that week, it's the red color bag. take one thing at a time out, and have him/her tell you what color it is, and what it is, like "red feather")
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• or, the game "sink or float?" just getting a bucket of water and guess if the toy truck will sink or float, then test it to see if you were right. and not just making the letter with playdough, but with shaving cream as well (it also cleans tables well lol). Trust me, i have plenty of idea's like that. (lol, i really had a blast on "how to milk a cow..." lol! Thanks for the advice, it's greatly appreciated.
    armywife43

• I'm glad you're doing the fun way. I've just seen so many posts from moms of toddlers wanting to know which flashcards are the best and how to get their toddler to sit still and do his workbook pages. I feel so sad for those kids.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2008