Leg cramps? (Yowza!)

Does anyone have suggestions on how to prevent leg cramps? I am almost 34 weeks and have started having KILLER leg cramps at night. I had them with my last pregnancy, but these are even worse. I woke up hollering in the middle of the night (with my leg frozen in midair) and my husband thought I was going into labor! lol

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 3:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• LOTS of water...and make sure to flex your foot to help relax the muscle, never point your toes (I did this all the time, d'oh!).
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• eat bananas! seriously this will help prevent them. try 2 bananas before bed time every night.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• lol, loving the "Yowza", that's cute. I know this sounds silly, but try leg warmers or a couple of pairs of tube socks. I don't have either of these just lying around the house, so I don't know if it's normal lol, but they keep the muscle warmed up and relaxed. May help. The bananas are a good idea, too. Anything with potassium is.I also agree with Katie about not pointing your toes. I had potassium issues in high school and I'd wake up with charlie horses in my calves all the time. Flexing my foot and stretching the muscle out was all that got rid of them.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I was told to elevate my legs when ever possible so do that and see how it helps you can also have your husband massage them at night.
    DRN17

Answer by DRN17 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I will definitely be trying the banana thing. I know I made the mistake of pointing my toes a couple times last night....those sleepy stretches you do when you're half-asleep and trying to turn over, you know? That's when the "yowza" happened! lol
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Water is good! My doctor asked me to take the Tums with Calcium before going to bed. believe me that helped my a lot with my leg cramps.
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I was and still am having leg cramps at night. I have retrained myself to fold my toes upwards toward my shins instead of pointing them. That seems to help because every time I would stretch out and point my toes my legs would cramp up. They have not been that bad since I started pulling them upwards. I hope this helps.
    H696969

Answer by H696969 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Thnx for the advce...i had a leg cramp so bad this morning...and i was screaming...and my husband gets so freakd out...lol but hey im gonna try all these methods but leg cramps are the WORST!!
    BlessedmOmmy629

Answer by BlessedmOmmy629 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2009