Moving to Pittsburgh- help!

Hi Ladies,

I am going to be moving to Pittsburgh, but I am from Indiana so I know NOTHING about the area (I mean, I have done research, but nothing in practice). I have a few questions for you, if you have the time:

Is there an area I should avoid for child/safety reasons? I have a 2 year old if that helps.

Are there any inexpensive but safe apartment complexes/housing divisions? I am looking for a 3BR/1+ bath, for something in the price range of $400-$650. I know this sounds LOW, but we don't have a lot of extra money. I am working now, but I will have to quit my job to move (I am going because of law school), and my husband isn't working, but will be job searching.

Any websites you can recommend for job hunting? My husband is ideally looking for a security job for $11/hr+. Is this unreasonable for the area?

What do your average utilities run? How big is your home (BR/Bath)?

Any advice you wish you would have known when you moved out there, or moved out on your own? Tips/suggestions?

Thanks so much!! :)

OmbreGracieuse

Asked by OmbreGracieuse at 10:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Go Steelers!!!!!
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Good luck with your move and apartment search! I may be moving to Harrisburg and dont much about Harrisburg.
    Sakinsglow

Answer by Sakinsglow at 10:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• eeeeew stinkburgh
    Anonymous

• We lived outside of Pittsburgh for a couple years in a little town called Coraopolis (near the airport because that's where my husband worked). It was a cheap area at the time. We paid $475/month for our 3bed/1bath apartment but we could barely afford our utilities. Our gas bill was around $300/month and that was with keeping the gas at 60F all winter long (which is really, really cold when the tempt outside is -20F). I liked the town, though, and the school was great for my oldest. And we were within quick driving distance to the mall (about 30 minutes from downtown). I don't really know the city that well, though, since we never planned to live IN Pittsburgh since my husband worked at the airport and that's way outside of town.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Thanks for the support and advice, Ladies! :)

I am really excited about the move; the law school I applied to has some AMAZING programs! :D

I have never really just jumped to a new location like this, though. It can be kind of daunting, lol.
    OmbreGracieuse

Comment by OmbreGracieuse (original poster) at 5:18 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• For a security job, try monster.com, upmc.com, careerbuilder.com and pittsburghjobs.com.

For housing, that's not much and whatever you find at that price for that size is most likely not going to be in the best of areas, unfortunately. Sometimes you get lucky, though. To help you find a place to live, you may want to contact a local real estate agent to see if they can help you with your relocation needs.

Good luck & welcome to the 'burgh!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2011