Would you volunteer to read to your child's preschool class?

My DD is in pre school 3 half days a week. The teachers put out a sign up sheet for parent volunteers to read a story the last 15 min of class. They have 3 slots. I am the ONLY one who volunteered. I was the ONLY one who volunteered in December too. The teachers have to pratically beg to get others to do it. Parents hesitate, or say they are not good at reading, etc. They make odd excuses.

The children LOVE just hearing a story from another adult. It's so cool for that age group. I don't get why parents have no interest in reading to their child's class. I LOVE doing it. Would you sign up? If not, why?

KairisMama

Asked by KairisMama at 10:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I totally would!
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I have many times. We never had problems finding parents to read to the classes, that is strange.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would in a heartbeat.

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I am one of the story moms for my son's kindergarten class. Maybe a lot of the moms work and can't get off to do the story time. Some moms may be good with their own children but can't handle a whole group of children. There are many reasons why a mom may or may not want to be story mom. That's a personally decision.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would do it, although I do not really like to read out loud,
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would. but i'm good at reading with kids. i like to make the characters come alive, different voices for each character, facial expressions, i try getting the kids involved in the story (ask a question about what i just read, ect).

but there are others i've heard that really aren't that good at reading to kids. i've heard some adults read to kids and the kids get bored with it. (and honestly, i get bored with it too, just having to hear it. there have been a couple of them i've sat there and thought that someone needs to make a class on how to read to children.) maybe they are like that and know they can't do it. dont' judge unless you know why.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I feel a main reason probably is adults being nervous about reading to a group of kids. I don't know, I just feel so bad for the teachers for they honestly try so hard to get the parents involved in story time. It's such a small class too (12), that I bet any one of those parents would do fine. I get to go again this Wednesday.

KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would, but in my opinion those parents that will not are not making weird excuses. They are actually that shy, or don't have good reading skills, or embarras easily, etc.....if you love it, it's because you don't have those issues.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:11 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• yes
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:15 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I already do!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2011