Mean Girls...does your daughter participate being a MG or is she on the receiving end?

I think that 10 years old (5th Grade) is too young for our daughters to have to deal with Mean Girls! What can you do when most all incidents happen at school? What incidences have upset your daughter when her "so called" friends gain esteem by treating her just plain 'ole MEAN?

countrystrong

Asked by countrystrong at 10:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• it is sad that it starts this young. I have always told my DD that if the girls she thinks are her friends are picking on her she should just walk away and not show them that is bothers her. She just needs to hold her head high and find someone else to play with. So far this has worked although she does come home upset sometimes. It has gotten better now that she doesn't let it bother her and she walks away. She found that if she just ignores them they leave her alone.

I think if it get to out of control and nothing is being done I would have to go to the school myself and talk with them. I understand not wanting to make things worse, although I think there comes a point when you need to step in.

Good LucK
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I had one who was a mean girl and one who was on the receiving end....
    Anonymous

• DD is on the receiving end. Ugh! The Monster gets to decide who is "cool" or not every week! (I complained to the school, as well as other 4 parents...in a class with 20 kids!)
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 11:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• LOL I feel for you and your precious baby girl - that's just wrong and I'm telling you right now, I'd be the mean mom of her nightmares. My son had a bully in the 5th grade and I got very little cooperation from the school system about it. So it was up to me. I went to great lengths to make my son more cool than the bully was mean. LMAO who thinks of giving a 5th grader a make-over?....ME! (and with a son it wasn't easy - but it was a good move) I put him in Karate Classes, Self-Management Classes, made over his wardrobe, his hair, you name it, then I became VERY involved with his school to the point I was on Playground Patrol twice a week. Because I was part of the business networking in our town I had the opportunity to go to the school and talk about the importance of networking and peer relationships - guess which class I chose? By the end of the 5th grade year, that bully had no power over anyone anymore.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 10:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You may think 10 is too young, but that's when it starts...4th/5th grade.

My daughter is neither the mean girl nor on the receiving end of the mean girls. She has been very deliberate with the friends that she had allowed in to her life and has surrounded herself with wonderful balanced people.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:52 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My daughter would've been on the receiving end of a bully but because of her high self esteem about herself, she dealt with the situation and luckily when it started, I was there with her on a field trip. The other little girl was so jealous of my dd and sent her little croonies to tell my dd that she was ugly. Well, to make a long story short, not only did my dd put her in her place but also another little friend of my dd's. Its hard seeing your child deal with a bully but its also harder not to equip them with the tools necessary to REALLY DEAL with a bully When parents do not equip their child it sometimes leads to low self esteem and thinking that nothing can be done...but it can. Being active part of the circle and knowing who's who is a beginner when your children begins to have friends at any age...and if the school refuses to deal with the bully you can always go above thier head and report it to the district...
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 11:16 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My dd is 9 and we have been dealing with drama. My dd has been so upset after school and it is killing me. She says she is always picked last and no one asks to sit with her at lunch. She has a few friends but the girls these days are so blunt and hurtful. I think my dd is being a bit sensitive and she needs to let stuff go a little bit more but on the other hand I am shocked at what some of these kids say. I have an appt with the school next week to see how I can help her. It is so hard to watch kids deal with this stuff!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My dd is 8, and her "best friend" ( who, lives across the street, and is a mean little B*tch) Where do I start>? She will invite dd over to play, then they will be in the bedroom playing but dd has to do everything the friend wants her to, play, color, everything. DD will say, " lets do something else, this is getting boring" and she will fake cry into the heater vent so that her parents will come running, and then she will say that MY dd is being mean. Or the friend will threaten to get her brother to beat her up if she dosnt play what she wants. SO when I heard of that....no more going over to play. Another incident, is when it was tehe friends bday, and she came up to my dd and said " I have one more invitation to my party, but Im not giving it to you"
    The 'friend' is the type that is all perfect when a parent of adult is around, then turn the moment they leave the room I've stood outside dds' room and listened to it !!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• minimo~ I know exactly what you are talking about! so sad our kids have to go thru this!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My 6 grade daughter is on the recieving end. She is constantly telling me that she is being picked on durring PE. I keep telling her that she needs to toughen up and stop carring about comments made by people who are insignificant. I know it's hard (especially when you're a sensitive kid) but she needs to learn to ignore others. She also has a problem with a couple of her "friends". They ignore her and only acknowledge her when they feel like it. I have finally convinced her to look for other friends .... REAL FRIENDS. We'll see how the rest of the year goes.
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2011