Is there anything "else" that helps with acid reflux???

My son is almost 15 weeks and has and has had terrible acid reflux with a milk protein and soy allergy.
We are on Prevacid twice a day and methanacol 4 times a day.
We have been on 5 different formulas and are on Neocate which works the best..
We tried Reglan meds but they didn't help. We keep him upright, down,sideways..everything we know. He sleeps elevated..which is barely.
How can I survive this stage till he outgrows it?
HE's miserable and so are we,but all the doctors say is he will outgrow it.
We actually visited a GI doctor and he said the same thing...
Also how can I get him to sleep more at night? HE barely sleeps any during the day.
Thanks so much!!I love him so much and want him to be 100%

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, my daughter didn't have it near as bad as you little angel. However i did have a hard time settling her on a formula due to her having trouble with gas , constipation and the spit ups also. But we have been on the Similac Sensitive R.S. and she has been doint great on it. Spit ups are very minimum. Like once a day and that is only if i didn't get her to burp good and put her down, a few minutes later when she does burp, a little spit up sill come up but not much. Good LucK
    Anonymous

• The only other thing that helped my son was mylanta. Half teaspoon in a nipple and let him drink it. It's perfectly safe if you use regular strength. My son was diagnosed with acid reflux when he was almost 2 months old and his ped told us to use mylanta when he gets bad. We had to give it to him maybe 3 times a day. The worst it would do is give him the runs. If you are going to try it don't give it to your baby within 30 mins of his other medications since it coats the tummy and won't let the meds absorb. I know what you're going through. It will get better hopefully. My son is 9 months old now and is finally starting to get better although he still takes prevacid 2 x a day.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 3:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My daughter had the same--reflux and a milk protein allergy. I breastfed, so I just cut out all milk from my diet, and she grew out of the milk allergy at about 8 months. She was initially on Prilosec for her reflux. It helped with the pain but not the spitting. She stopped growing between six and nine months, so they put her on Zantac at that point, which worked wonders. She outgrew the reflux at around 18 months. Usually, they do outgrow these problems, but it can be hell for you and your baby in the meantime. My best advice to you is to listen to your gut and speak up if you feel your child is not improving. It might be time for a change in medication. Good luck.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My dd was born almost 6 weeks early and has reflux. She is the exact same age as your little one... 15 weeks today actually. She is on Neosure to help her to gain weight since she was so early as well as breastfed. They took her off of the Reglan before she left the NICU. I spoke with my pediatrician about it at her 11 week appt and he told me to put her on 1 tsp rice cereal for every 2-3 oz bottle. He told me that it will stop the reflux and it did! She has had a couple of "wet burps" in the past week, but nothing like she had before the cereal.
    I'd talk to your ped and tell him/her that what he's on isn't working and see what they tell you. GL
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My twins had reflux really bad so we took them to Childrens Hospital in Pittsgurg and they had us put the twins on cereal too( just like mcqinnisc).We put one tablespoon of cereal in every 2oz. of breastmilk or formula. Make sure he burps good and be sure to keep up right for at least 20 mins. after he eats. My twins LIVED in their baby swings night and day for 2or3 months till they out grew it. That's the only way they and I got any sleep...Good luck it will go by fast! :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 5:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• an organic formula might help. Look into a more natural holistic remedy
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:32 PM on May. 4, 2009