Lice. Each year, my kids get it. What else can I do to take precautions?

My kids are bathed every two days, including their head. They have fresh clothes daily and I wash their hair w/ tea tree shampoo, use tea tree gel and spray their heads, jackets and backpacks with tea tree oil/water mix. I do this, every day. I started this three years ago after our first round with lice. But every year, one of my kids get it. We knock it out for the rest of the year usually. The above regimen had me thinking I was safe (sort of) since we didn't get it multiple times in one year. Does anyone do something I am missing? If this isn't protecting them, what will? BTW, no hats or helmets are ever worn. I'm so frustrated, I'm afraid to snuggle with my kids! SO mad! Any advice??? PS: I have been told by another parent that another kid had lice in class recently but the school didn't send out paperwork. So I'm pretty sure it came from class, not that I can fix that issue....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I used to send a pink plastic bag, that was customized with my daughters name on it, with her in her backpack. She used this to place her coat, mittens, beanies, etc. in when she took them off. She would put them in her cubby or locker. She was never teased, as a matter of fact, the teacher sent out a notice of the idea to the other parents and it became a trend.

I honestly think that when they hang their jackets, the transfer begins and it is hard to stop unless all parents are aware of the problem.
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 11:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• put tea tree oil in their shampoo....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• We've never done any tea tree or any lice treatments once I saw that all it does it make it harder to remove the nits.

I used tons of conditioner and they come out, but last year when we got the ''attack'', we used a curling iron in the spots she had them.
    I even used a steam iron on the mattresses, and wash all the clothes plus the bedding and dry them longer to get the heat up.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I think its just kinda something you have to suck up when it comes to having kids. I got lice ALL the time as a child.. so much that my parents threatened to shave my head if I brought it home again. Turned out it was from a really good friend of mine who had it the whole time. So whenever I hung around her for a period of time or she came over, I got it. And all the times I had it, I never remember once my parents being informed of any lice outbreaks in the school. They would just take the kids out for a day or two, then theyd be back. You could always start greasing down their head or something? lol lice hate dirty hair.. they can't move through it as easily as clean. Other than that I think youre kinda stuck.. Maybe do once a week lice checks so you catch it early?
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 11:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Also if they are girls put there hair up, use hair spray as well. Tell them no more hugging their friends (easier said then done)

I totally agree on the jackets being so close together at school I think that is where a lot of it comes from. Plus things we have found out they may use head phones in the computer lab that they never clean at the school, hearing tests they just put the headsets on from kid to kid. Ask your kids if they are doing any of the above to tell you so that you can check them and maybe give a once over with a comb just to be on the safe side

DD's school has had the issue a couple of times and DD got it once. I do the tea tree oil in the shampoo along with the above. I also bought a comb for around $30 that you comb through the hair and if there are any in there it zaps them. Can't say if it actually works though I am using it as a precationary thing and haven't found any yet. (knocks on wood)
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• good idea dreamlander!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:04 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes, I thought about the headphones too. The kids stuff the coats in the backpacks and zip them up at our school, but the bag is a good idea but it would have to be really large. I also wash and dry all of it, daily. Such a chore. Never heard of the comb that zaps...I'll google it. I do have a barrier on all the beds for dust mites, so I think the mattress is okay...I hope. Anyway. Sigh....all good info, thanks guys.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2011