Ok, i was 1 cm dialated and 70% effaced yesterday at my check-up.....

and i have passed some of my mucus plug at 36 weeks. I will be 37 weeks on sat. I also have 2 boys and 1 girl,( two teenagers and 1 toddler) the baby i am expecting is a boy. I am afraid that i am in early labor and don't notice it because this pregnancy is so close to my toddlers, he will be 3 in march. With my teenagers they were 1year apart and i didn't know that i was in labor with my son 1 yr. after having my daughter and i am wondering if that is the case now? I am waiting for a bloody show and or my water to break which has never happened, the doc. always has to break it. My mucus plug was not bloody it was just lite brown and then a little bit darker brown i am having contractions and they are really intense and close together but not hurting, which was the case with my first two. I don't know if should go to the hospital or not, dreading going and them sending me back home. Any suggestions please?

mika0101

Asked by mika0101 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would just wait it out. I had my little ones close together and there was never a doubt as to if I was in labor or not. Just wait for some contractions. You can be dilated and effaced for a month or more.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Drink some water and take a warm bath and try to relax, throw in some epsom salts if you have them. If the contractions continue in the same pattern and start getting stronger and closer together then I'd head to the hospital. Going by my midwife's rule of thumb, if the contractions are lasting a full minute then you're most likely in labor.

Being dilated and effaced really is no indication that you're going into labor. Many women dilate early and stay that way for weeks. The mucus plug also isn't a good indicator because it regenerates. Braxton Hicks get worse when you're dehydrated so make sure you're drinking plenty of water. A calcium/magnesium supplement wouldn't hurt either.

jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• 37 weeks is really early for a boy. Just bacause you are dialated, doesn't mean it's an indicator of when labor will begin. The whole last month feels like hell, and all sorts of weird things start happening as your body prepares. I was at 3cm for two of my babies for 3 mos and at 5 cm for 2 mos with my son. Try not to focus on cervical exams right now, it'll make you nuts.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• If you're concerned, go in to get checked up again. If they send you home, no big, they should be use to mothers going in for false alarms. Rest and water....lay on your side and see if the contractions go away. You can be dilated and effaced for a while before going into labor. If anything else, I think hospitals won't send you home once you reach 4cms. Just prepare, relax, and wait just a while longer. G'luck to you.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 1:31 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• How close are they?
    I wouldn't go in unless you knew you needed to.
    And you don't have to have your water broken-- this is a risky an unnecessary intervention.
    Nice to let it break on it's own/deliver baby in the caul.
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I'm with doulala on this. Wait it out and see. Don't have them break your water. It's riskier than most women are led to believe, and it puts you on a time clock. Don't go in until you need to. Have your bag at the ready!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:33 AM on Feb. 11, 2011