Should I wake my 3 year old to give him medicine

He's been running fever all day and it seems like his fever spikes as soon as we reach that 4 hour mark.. I'm wondering if I should wake him up to keep his fever under control.

mandyh0319

Asked by mandyh0319 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Health

• Do what your gut feeling is. On one hand, you could wait and give it when he wakes, on the other you could keep it down. Either way, you are right.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I do. But it wasn't like they're fully awake. They were awake just enough that they could sit up and take it and then go back to sleep. Hopefully he'll feel better soon.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Is it a struggle to get him to take it? Is he resting comfortably right now? If yes to either I would wait

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• unless he´s getting antibiotics, sleep will be better... but do check him to see if the fever is down or climbing.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 11:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Have you tried to rub his forehead with a cool damp rag while he sleeps?
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 11:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Thanks everyone!! I did wake him... It gives me peace mind. He's back to sleep now. It's just so nerve wrecking when your little one is sick.. Praying these antibiotics kick in and he's feeling back to himself tomorrow!!
    mandyh0319

Comment by mandyh0319 (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I usually don't but last time my 4yr old was sick, a month or so ago, while he was sleeping he started twitching and getting stiff and had a possible febrile seizure. So yeah, I woke him after that! It freaked me out!
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:25 AM on Feb. 11, 2011