How can you get a 20 month old to tell you where she hid your keys???

Asked by mistykal1980 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh wow, don't have an answer for this one, but want to wish you luck in finding them! we haven't had that happen here yet.. Not looking forward to it :)

Answer by faeriemamma at 10:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Good luck on that one. When my daughter(now 28 yrs that is)did it to us we found them 1 and 1/2 yrs later on the top shelf in our coat closet when we moved.But you can give her a old set and play a game with her and make the goal of the game to put them with the other keys.When my grandson did it we used play keys and it worked,took a while but he found them.Clean out the toy boxes everything ends up there sooner or later at my house.

Answer by Grama_2 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Dangle another set in front of her and say "where are they, can you find them?" try to make it a game. My son did this with Daddy's wallet. Kids are so fun sometimes!!! LOL

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Please forgive me for laughing just a little bit!! I remember those days when they're just starting to talk and how frustrating it is to get them to verbalize!!My youngest son was speaking in sentences at 18 months so it was pretty easy for him to talk to us, but it took my oldest a little bit longer to talk in full sentences.

Anyway, does she understand how to play "Hot and Cold"? If you're getting close to the keys, she'll tell you hot, if you're not close to them, she'll tell you cold. Try making another game out of it like a "Treasure Hunt".If that doesn't work, resort to bribery, tell her you'll give her a cookie, piece of candy, whatever, if she finds your keys.

Good luck, let us know what happens!!

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• LOVE THIS AGE..... We have a "clapper" on our keys and remotes. Even my 4 year old puts things away we can never find.
    Good Luck!

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my 3 yr old does this too.

Answer by 6lilprinces at 11:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Play a game with her, tell her that mommy is going to hide something and she has to find it, then act sad because you wanted to hide mommy keys but you don't know where they are. Then ask her if she knows where they are. Good luck

Answer by christene at 11:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• give her a set of play key and watch where she hides them and you will likely find your keys.

Answer by yathere at 11:58 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• LOL!!! Sounds like my house! My answer is- you don't. Sorry, good luck!

Answer by mom2kammy at 12:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You could try to bribe the child. However, if it's been awile...the child may not remember. Good luck finding them. When you do, find a place high and out of reach. Make habit of placing all your keys there when they're not in use.

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2008