Can I drink alchol while I breastfeed?

stephershallers

Asked by stephershallers at 6:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in About CafeMom

• You can have a small amout to relax but don't get drunk. Drink after you have just breastfeed so there is time for you body to securlate the alchol. The best for you and the baby is not to drink but if you want to it won't hurt to have a glass of wine but don't over do it and don't drink every day. Maybe with a meal. I waited till I was done bastfeeding to enjoy a glass of wine with the meal but you can enjoy it as long as you are aware of when you feed last and how long till you feed again. 3 hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• The general advice is that occasional alcohol use is okay (1-2 drinks), however, it is best to wait to breastfeed until several hours after you have consumed alcohol. Around 2% of the alcohol can pass into the breast milk. However, there has never been a determination of how much alcohol is "safe" for an infant. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk = alcohol is a powerful brain toxin.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Even doctors will tell you that one 4 oz glass of wine a day is good for your heart and the baby's digestion. I would not suggest any more than that as it will stay in your body for a day and a half and in your milk for 3 feedings.
    godservant

Answer by godservant at 9:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• If you pump, you can "pump and dump." I have a friend that did that. Basically, if she had a glass of wine (always right after a feeding), about an hour later she pumped her breast milk and threw it away. It worked best if she also drank a lot of water (to help refill her milk supply).

I'm still breastfeeding, and once my daughter started sleeping through the night I started having a glass of wine occasionally after she went to bed.
    Anonymous

• No!
    Geneie

Answer by Geneie at 11:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• this doese not tell me any side affects that may have been experienced from doing so
    Anonymous