How to stop being so worried about my 4yo at night?

We have a 4 year old daughter and I still have to use a baby monitor in her room. I am so worried that something is going to happen to her during the night and I won't hear her. I would rather have her sleep in our room when I can"fell" her and know she is safe. I am so worried that someone is going to break into our house and take her. Any advice to help me relax a little?

SkeeterLynn

Asked by SkeeterLynn at 11:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i wish i knew! that's why both my kids still sleep in my room (they are 4 and 1) but know that you're not alone!!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Maybe you should talk to a professional about that
    Anonymous

• Honestly, you might need to talk to a professional. This is above and beyond the typical mother worrying.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• i can't believe you are being told to go to a professional...it is normal to worry about your kids, you're just being a good mother
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I do have an over active part of my brain with worrying. Didn't do much for me. Thanks josiemommy. Happy that I am not the only one with a 4 year old in my bed. Probably also doesn't help trying to get her to sleep in her room but when dad leaves for drill I let her sleep with me.
    SkeeterLynn

Comment by SkeeterLynn (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• i think it is normal to worry but do you think you could have an anxiety disorder? good luck
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Josiesmommy, I too was going to suggest a professional, but not because I think she's crazy, but because I completely understand and seeing a professional and getting some medical help for my anxiety helped me to be able to control my irrational thoughts a little. Not that the fears are unfounded or completely irrational, but because they were so intense that I felt I needed to seek help. I was teaching my daughter to be afraid, and that wasn't healthy for her. I am no longer on the medication and I am now able to separate my fears into controllable and uncontrollable. I can now realize that I'm doing all I can by checking all the window locks, putting good locks on the doors, having an emergency plan, having a phone near me and leaving our doors open so I can hear her, as well as checking batteries in the smoke detectors often. Thats really all I can control, I've done all I can do, the rest is chance...I'm okay with that.
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I probably do. Just never gone to the doc about it. Not sure what they would do to help me
    SkeeterLynn

Comment by SkeeterLynn (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I still worry of course, but not in the way that I used to. Speaking to a professional helped me, as did the anxiety medication they put me on temporarily. So, I think her seeking some help would be beneficial both to her and her daughter in the long run.

op, hun, try to do all that you can and know that its all you can do and then come to peace with what you cant control : ) Best of luck hun and if you need to talk, just send me a message, I'll gladly be there for you!
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• We have video monitors in our kids rooms (4 & 2) so I can see them at all times. I don't think anything is wrong with that. I have always had an overactive imagination and if they get scared for any reason they can come to our room.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2011