Smoking..

I know, I know...It's horrible, awful, disgusting, and any thing else you want to throw in there...but I smoke. I smoked before I knew I was pregnant. I smoked about 8-10 a day, 8 weeks ago. Now, I am down to ONE a day, sometimes even just half a cigarette a day and I think that is GREAT for someone who has smoked for almost 10 years....

Has anyone else been able to cut down? How? I don't even crave them anymore, I just get agitated and then want one...so I smoke one...any one else down to just a couple a day? I know I'm not the only pregnant woman who smokes...I plan on being completely done, not even one a day, soon. I just get stressed, and worry if I stress over NOT smoking, that all that stress could hurt the baby worse than just a few puffs...ughhh!

ajfoster88

Asked by ajfoster88 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think that shows great will power. I have never smoked myself but I have reacted the same way with caffeine. I don't want any of it but every once in a while I have just a little bit. I currently have a withdraw headache. Be proud of what you have done and continue making it a priority to weed it out of your pregnant life.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I hate to admit it but I smoked throughout my whole pregnancy. I did cut back but not as much as I wanted. Just try to stay relaxed and get your mind of the idea of smoking. For most ppl its the ritual of lighting the cigarette and making the motions. Maybe you can find a new hobby to keep your hands and mind of smoking. Also if anyone around you (family and friends) smoke ask them not to do so around you at all. That was my down fall. Both my parents and inlaws smoke and so does my husband. So I was surrounded by it all the time. good luck.
    llctaylor

Answer by llctaylor at 12:01 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think that you should def stop smoking, but if a half of a cig a day will make you feel better i think that you would be ok. Although i am nt a doc, and they would suggest yu dont do it at all. And if you can resist, then do. Try doing something entertaining, relaxful or creative everytime you feel like smoking. Think of baby names, look at baby stuff online, decorate that babies room. I know it will be hard, i used t be a smoker, but think you yours and your precious babies health. Plus,l when the baby gets here, you dont want him/her smelling like smoke or taking in that second hand smoke
    arkelly2188

Answer by arkelly2188 at 12:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Thank you, Mrs.Coop! I was never big on caffeine, but addiction is all the same! Mind over matter :) I remember when I would freak out because I only had 5 cigarettes left in a pack...and now I'm down to almost nothing...Thank you for the supportive comment :)
    ajfoster88

Comment by ajfoster88 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I was lucky, smoking made me sick when I was preggo. I had no problem quitting. Good luck quitting completely. It is tough and I think you are doing great cutting down as much as you have.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Hey no problem. We see too much negativity around here. Who really wants to be bashed and how effective is that anyways? I hope for support when using this site because I am very lacking in support living in a new city far away from friends and family as a stay at home mom with a husband who works a lot. I glad to have helped :)
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:10 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I was a heavy smoker when I got pregnant with my son. I had been smoking for 8 years. I smoked up until my 6th week of pregnancy with him. I had a nagging Doctor whom thought it was sooo easy to quit. I did want to quit for my babys sake, so.....

Here's what I did:

Bought some freshy mint toothpaste and a soft toothbrush
    Your favorite hand wash
    baby oil or baby lotion

When you get the urge to smoke, brush your teeth for at least two minutes. Wash your hands with your special soap and rub the lotion or oil on your hands. This does two things....makes you smell clean and makes you think of the baby.

It does wonders. I eventually quit with this method as the "habit" became washing my hands and brushing my teeth...lol!
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 12:14 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• i think you have made great progress so far. thats the exact same way i quit during my first pregnancy. i smoked (1 or so a day by this point) up til the day i heard her heartbeat, and when i walked out of that office i did not touch a single cigarette again the rest of the pregnancy.

however, i was not able to quit during my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies. i know the mental stress i was dealing with during them is no excuse, but stress is the reason i smoke and i just wasnt able to quit. i did cut back severely though. a pack would last me a whole week.

i love dreamlanders idea!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:48 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• way to go thats awsome!!
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 8:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Good for you for cutting back so much! I was lucky and just the smell made me sick so quitting was no problem. After 2 kids and 4 years I started back though and hate it everytime I light up. Dreamlander's suggestion is wonderful... thinking of that precious baby will really help. Good luck to you!
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 8:36 AM on Feb. 11, 2011