My son still wets the bed

He's turning 5 in April and he's never not wet the bed! I limit his drinks and I've even tried waking him up periodically to bring him to the bathroom. I've had nights where I would take him over 3 times and the bed is still wet in the morning. He's getting too big for pull ups, what do I do?

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is turning 13 and up until last summer wetting was a problem more often than not. At 5 he was never dry and it only came slowly by 8 or 9. So irritating, even though I know he wasn't doing it on purpose. It even seemed like waking him up before we went to bed made it worse.

I would start out by taking him to the doctor and ask about a urologist. Also look into alarms that go off at the fist sign of wetness. My son hated his with a passion and somehow managed to sleep through it. So it didn't do anything. I've known people whose children only had to see the alarm and they were dry.

There are medications our doctor doesn't like them because they don't train. They often solve the problem for only for as long as the child is on the meds. She did give something to us for road trips. But it didn't even help every night.

Good luck.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:09 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• That's not that unheard of. Keep doing what you are doing and he'll figure it out. They have underjams and big kid pull ups for a reason.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I was going to suggest the underjams as well. They have them for up to 80lbs so I would just move up to a bigger size. He is still little but you might mention something to his doctor.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:09 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My DD is 5 in April and still wears night time diapers though she is fully potty trained even at nap time. She just cannot stay dry all night yet. Some kids take longer than others.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 12:14 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Thanks ladies! Just knowing he's not the only one makes me feel better. My MIL makes me feel like he should be way past this stage already, like I'm not doing something right. I will definitely bring it up at his next Dr. visit
    Nicoles2LilRams

Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My df wet the bed up until he was almost 12 yrs old, i cant remember what he had. So your not alone, i think its normal, my 4yr old sometimes wets his bed( my so isn't his biological father, so nothing to do w/it) we just tell him that acidents happen & bathe him.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 2:19 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• ur not alone momma try the next size up pull ups and gl x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:13 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• There is a wide range of what is normal for staying dry at night. My niece's daughters still wear pullups and they are older than your child. My kids were 7 and 8 before being dry at night. It will happen eventually.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My nephew had a kidney issue is why he wet the bed past 7.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2011