Virgin Mary

Why do most non-Catholics think Catholics WORSHIP Mary, even after they are given a full explanation that Catholics do not worship her, they honor her?

jessspurr86

Asked by jessspurr86 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i used to think that and it was only because that is what i was told. Most of the time, people have not idea what they are talking about, they just make assumptions. I found out that was not true in middle school because i had a catholic friend and she told me all about it. I honestly think that people just assume that becuase they dont know all of the facts
    arkelly2188

Answer by arkelly2188 at 12:06 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Maybe because non-catholics have never been told this before. Myself, I've never heard this, I'm a non-catholic. However, with Catholic friends I know they worship God first and foremost.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• How come they never ask? :)
    jessspurr86

Comment by jessspurr86 (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• its the way some cathloics honnor her
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 12:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It's because Catholics and non-Catholic christians speak a different language without realizing it. For example, the word prayer to some is a form of worship, but to a Catholic it doesn't mean worship it means "talking to". When I pray to Mary, I am talking to her, usually asking her to pray with me and for me to God. Communion of the Saints means that Catholics believe that those who have passed on are still active in our lives, praying for us. We believe that those in purgatory need our prayers, cannot pray for themselves, but can pray for us, and in this way we are all part of the Communion of Saints...We don't worship Mary, but we love her, and honor her and believe that she loves us and can intercede for us through her prayers...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Because misinformation has a tendency to be perpetuated, and since most non-Catholic Christians don't usually go and fact check everything they hear about the beliefs of Catholics (or even other Christian denominations), they believe it and then turn around and perpetuate it themselves. Not that Christians are the only ones who do this - people in general have a tendency to accept what they are told without checking with the actual source, especially if it involves some kind of "other" group of people. So what we have is a bunch of people being told that Catholics worship Mary, and told that Catholics are wrong for it, and taking that misinformation to heart, without even giving it a second thought. You have to admit that this "true" Christian, our denomination is right and the others are wrong, or this one other in specific is wrong, kind of thing runs rampant in many churches (granted not all)...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:23 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I agree w/ Bandgeek. Misinformation tends to spread when people talk about others and if they want to keep thinking of them as 'others' or different than they make no effort to get the correct information or understand them at all. Whatever the reasons, I think most people do it at times. It's probably the same reasons people mistakenly think Buddhists WORSHIP the Buddha. They do not. Buddhists think of the Buddha as a teacher and a brother, but not a god; a wise, enlightened man, but still a man. I knew Catholics honored or venerated Mary, but did not worship her as a deity. It's my understanding that if they pray to her it's to ask her for prayers and compassion and many see her as a mother figure for all (but still human) and find comfort there. I don't know if I have that exactly right, but I knew she wasn't worshiped.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I will admit I do not know much about the Catholic faith (even though I was married to a Catholic for 12 years, he was obviously non practicing). But I do know that one of their prayers starts out "Holy Mary" - in my faith, we don't consider anyone Holy other than the Trinity. Not saying it means you worship Mary, but that where I differ from Catholics in my faith.

Answer by missanc at 9:16 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• it must of got started somewhere in the learning process
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:47 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Seems people believe what they want to believe- if they want to think of Catholics as "less than Christian" due to honoring Saints, that is what they believe- even if you explain the difference between honoring and worshiping they will find a way within their mind to dispute what you are saying.

This happens quite a bit on here- people have a predetermined opinion before they open a question and it does not matter what or how you say it-their bias remains- the dispute it or say its irrelevant or wrong or an excuse so they can continue to put YOUR beliefs in the package THEY want it in.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:47 AM on Feb. 11, 2011