Who else has had a child with extremely enlarged adenoids?

I have an almost six year old ds who has been mouth breathing, snoring, having restless sleep, tired the next day , almost since the beginning of school. I have taken him to the pediatrician numerous times over the last six months, told them what was happening and have been given antibiotics once, Claritin once and the last was Nasonex and Singulair. Still all of the above, along with nasty lingering side effects from one of the drugs! I have repeatedly questioned the possibility that it may be his adenoids and asked about a refferal to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor and was told" we think it's allergies, keep him on the meds and see what happens. I got tired of watching all this and took him back, saw a different doc and finally he was referred! Turns out " his adenoids are huge", I'm trying to get a sense of how common this is, what has been other moms experiences etc.....

cfalconldovemom

Asked by cfalconldovemom at 12:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was six and was having chronic strep throat, took him to an ENT specialist to find out not only were his tonsils enlarged so were his adnoids. Had both removed and his adnoids were the size of an adults! He suffered with earaches the first few days after surgery due to his adnoids pressing against his ear drums, but other than that he did awesome!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• my oldest suffered from that,I also suffer from it and hope to one day have them removed. My osn would stop breathing for a few seconds at night and it scared me. I would hear him snoring like a freight train and sometimes wake up coughing, He had both removed and he is doing fine now!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 1:07 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• How long did you all have to wait before your kids had surgery?
    cfalconldovemom

Comment by cfalconldovemom (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2011