What is the easiest way to introduce 1st foods to my baby?

babymomma101110

Asked by babymomma101110 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Really?
    mamatel

Answer by mamatel at 1:01 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Wellllllllll....

I started with blended up fruit and steamed veggies. Actually, the very first thing I gave DS was mashed up avocado. Just make sure whatever you give your baby is well-pureed so there's nothing to choke on. I would wait until he/she is 6 months or older, unless they're really showing signs of wanting food younger. Put a little food on a spoon and let them taste it. They may or may not take to it the first time. If they don't, wait a week and try again. My son wasn't interested until he was 9 months old, at which point I started giving him a little at the same time every day and he finally started getting used to it. But he was breastfed so he was getting good nourishment up until that point.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:08 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• mamatel, I fail to see how this question warranted the answer "Really?" It was a legitimate question.

OP, there are a lot of ways to introduce solids to your baby, and I think the best judge of what's best, is you. However, I personally agree with Adelicious's answer. :)
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 2:28 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• why really???
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:06 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would suggest waiting until at least 6 mos of age, and at that time, nurse/feed a bottle first, and THEN offer solids. You can start with cereal as many do, but it's not NECESSARY, so you can skip it if you want. Good starter foods are banana, avocado and sweet potato. Depending on the age you are starting, you can take a banana, or avocado or a sweet potato, and just cut it into small, bite sized pieces. In the case of the sweet potato, you would need to cook it first, so that it is soft, you can bake it and THEN cut it into bite sized pieces. I would say anytime after 6 mos, you can do this and let baby just self feed. If you are starting younger then that, you can fork mash those foods, or other foods you would like to introduce, or puree them, or purchase pre made baby food and just spoon feed. I DO NOT recommend ever feeding any solids IN a bottle. I think that solids are to be fed via spoon, or self fed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• here are a few helpful hints about babys first foods

shirl16

Answer by shirl16 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2011