Macrosomia

i just got diagnosed with macrosomia at my last drs appt. i am 34 1/2 weeks preggo and measured at 42. they did an ultrasound for fetal weight and estimated him at 6 lb 9 oz. i dont have diabetes either. they have me scheduled for an induction only 1 week early. any mommies who were diagnosed with macrosomia but without diabetes....how early did you go and how big were your babies?

treystiredmommy

Asked by treystiredmommy at 12:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I did not have macrosomia, but I did give birth to a very large baby. He was over 11 pounds, and I had to be induced. We knew the exact due date, and I didn't have diabetes either.

I would highly, highly, highly encourage you to induce a week early and consider a c-section if the baby is estimated over 9 pounds. PLEASE.

My big baby was delivered without a c-section and with an epidural. I broke my tailbone, almost hemorrhaged to death as well, and would have been best off to have a c-section. It just wasn't possible as he was stuck with his head out for 2.5 hours of hard labor. It was a disaster. Also he suffered a minor birth injury-3 years of therapy for that, which could have been 1000 times worse if my dr. and pediatric team was not so skilled....yes team that they brought in to help get this baby out!

Baby number 2 we induced one week early to be on the safe side. EASY delivery. She was 8.5 pounds at birth.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:15 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Oh, and my measurements were ahead of the size he should have been, by the way and they kept telling me he was going to be a month early based on my measurements. Unfortunately, that did not happen.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:16 AM on Feb. 11, 2011