When do you stop using a monitor?

We use 2, one for the 16mo old and one for the 2 year old. One of our monitors broke recently and dh asked "how long exactly are we going to keep using monitors?" I told him that I wanted to keep using them till each child is out of a crib and can safely get up and down the stairs by themselves. Now I am wondering if it should be longer than that. Since dh has given it no thought and will probably go with what I decide, I wanted to ask what other people do.

christinab313

Asked by christinab313 at 12:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• We gave them up once we realized that we could pretty much hear a pin drop across the house in the basement. Our house has really poor sound insulation. I think they were about a year, unless I was going out on the porch while they were napping. Then again, my freaks never climbed out of their cribs and we only have one staircase which is in the kitchen and always gated (even though the youngest is 6.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Still using them at 2 & 4 with another baby on the way. Hubby says we have to take them out before they hit puberty...

laughing

mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I used one in my oldest dd's room until my son got his own room. She was 21 months and he was 6 months. It was sensitive enough to pick up her cries from across the hall (with both doors shut). We used it in his room until my 3rd was around 7 months (he was 20 months at the time). We haven't had a monitor since then. And back then the 3 of them had rooms on the 1st floor and our room was upstairs and we slept with all the doors shut (for safety reasons). We didn't use a monitor for our 4th kid (although she slept in our room until she was 16 months and then had a room across the hall from us). Our youngest is 6 months old now and we've never had a monitor with him either. The house is small (he's still in our room for now) and there are enough people around that someone always hears him when he cries.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:13 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have never used them with any of our little ones, just never saw the need.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:35 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I only use one when the baby's asleep in her crib and I go outside to do yard work.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 2:17 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I tried using one with my first son, and it never worked. I realized our house is so old I can hear him cry no matter where I am in the house. I usually put him down to nap wherever I was anyway, so it was no big deal.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have never used them. But our house isn't that big and we are all on one floor.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I appreciate all the answers, just wondering if anyone who USES monitors has advice. I need to use them, the master bedroom is downstairs and the kids are upstairs, and I cannot hear them scream bloody murder without the monitor.
    christinab313

Comment by christinab313 (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My oldest is 3.5, and we still have a monitor in his room. I've decided that it will probably stay until I'm comfortable letting him get up and wander the house by himself (we have one of those door knob covers on the inside of his door right now), at which point he can come get us if he needs us (and won't be in the room where the monitor would be, anyway). Same for my younger one, who's 22 months now. Though now that I'm thinking about it...that might be a bit more difficult...since the older one would be able to open the door for her...oh my. Lol. At least I can take control of the situation for a bit longer, anyway! :-\
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2011