How should i handle this? My 4yr old just said something very inapropriate.

So i had just taken my boys a bath 2&4.I told my 4yr old to go in my room& put his pjs , i walked in the room shortly& i heard my df ask him "what did you just say" & my son told him " cold showers make your d!@#$ get smaller" both df& i were shocked, my 4yr old thought it was funny up until i got after him, i told him that what he had just said was very ugly& that he better not ever say that again. I asked him where did he hear that from& who told him this and of course he said "i dont know". Should i ask his daycare teacher? I know he didnt get it from home because df& i dont talk like that nor do we watch tv programs like that, or should i just drop it now that i have already gotten after him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, technically, he's right... vulgar in language, but anatomically correct. It might be better to let him know dick is not an acceptable word to use and pick one you find more appropriate for him to say and then move on. He's not spreading false information, he's just not saying it in a manner you agree with.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I do not see what is so inappropriate about this. Your reaction to what he said makes it more interesting. I believe you should have casually commented on the accuracy or inaccuracy of his comment. And went on with the put to bed business.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Get used to it, lol It only continues... My boys learned ALL sorts of things at school that were inappropriate. I taught them that these things were not to be shared with adults, at school or home. I realize boys are going to repeat things they hear, and we have no control over what they hear but we can teach them there is a time and place for it. Pretty funny though, LOL kids say the darndest things!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I doubt that his daycare teacher will have an answer for you. He obviously has picked it up somewhere. I would talk to him and keep your eyes and ears open. You might ask him later when you are calmer if there are any words that he hears at daycare that he might not know the meaning. Just try to find out what he has heard, but stay calm or he will clam up. Keeping the communication open is key, while at the same time discussing with him what is appropriate language and what is not.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You'll have SO many wonderful memories like this in the years ahead, my boys are now 24 & 20 and they STILL keep me laughing with OMG moments :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:04 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes it was the D word that shocked us& just knowing that cold water shrinks it. When i take him showers i always tell him to wash his wee wee, but never d@#$,
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Well i am laughing now but i just couldnt believe what came out of his mouth, i know things will only get worse as they get older.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:01 AM on Feb. 11, 2011