Have you ever lost your child on a store?

I am really scared. Today I lost my 3 year old for about 1minute. I. was going insane he was playing hide and seek the whole time. Alit of things went thru my mind. Thank god he was fine.I feel like a horrible mother. Has this happen to anybody?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, I lost my two year old in the store during Christmas. I was trying to grab something out of my purse and she was gone. I flipped out. Turns out, she'd gone two stores down and had grabbed a tea set out of the toy store because she knew my mom wanted one so she could have tea parties with the girls. The security alarms went off and she froze, then started crying when she saw me. I felt terrible that it happened, but I was just happy that she was all right. I bawled like a baby though.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 2:05 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It has happened to my sister , my nephew was hiding in the rackets while the the dept store staff n mall security were all searching for him. Not my boys they try to wander off& as soon as they cant find me they scream bloody murder.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 2:04 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Oh yes! I was terrified. Two friends & I were at a David's Bridal. I looked down (to check, as always) & my 2 y.o. daughter was there in front of us. I looked up briefly to see a dress my friend had pointed to, looked down again, & she was GONE. I was like, "WTF! WHERE'D SHE GO?!?" My friends & I quickly separated &ran up & down all the immediate aisles. Within the first few seconds i couldn't see her my heart dropped. Then I heard her little footsteps. She was running from us! I yelled her name, ran down another aisle & found her (feet peeking out from beneath some dresses). Obviously, I was relieved I had found her. I definitely made it a point to never leave my side again. She gave all three of us heart attacks & To be sure it wouldn't happen again, my friend (her godmother) tied her scarf around dd's waist to keep her from running off again. Which was effective. My daughter's a ninja...-___-
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 2:23 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I lost track of my friends son during a parade!

My friend, her two sons, another friend, her husband and child and I were all waking in a parade for my work. My friend with two boys was walking farther up front with her older boy and I was walking farther back with the younger boy (3 at the time) We were handing goodies to the crowd and the younger boy and I decided to run to catch up with his mom and brother. They were about 3 blocks away. I started jogging with him looked up to check where his mom was looked back down and he was gone! I freaked out and started screaming his name. The hubby of my other friend saw me freaking and started yelling for him too. I ran up to his mom to tell her what happened and BAM he was next to his mom handing out goodies. I almost cried right there. He ran faster than I thought. I couldn't live myself if anything had happened to him.

Opie99

Answer by Opie99 at 2:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I didn't lose my own kid but I lost a friends kid I was taking care of. She ran off and it was a busy store and next thing I knew she was lost in the crowd. Lucky for me she was smart and went to the front of the store and told them to call for me over the PA system. Its a scary thing to lose a child!
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 3:25 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• no but i did when i ws a kid, i was abt 5, and i went to the desk and told them i was lost, so they put my name over the loud speaker lol
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You are not a long I am sure this has happened to many people. For me it happened when my oldest was 6. We were in the craft store and he went to put something down. I bent down to look at something else and he could not see me. When I stood up he was gone and I became frantic looking for him. He had walked all the way to the mall entrance, the store was in the mall. I finally found him walking back towards me crying. It scared my kids so much that they never wondered off!

It is ok to be scared, but you aren't a horrible mother. Turn it into a learning lesson so he understands that he can't just wonder off.
    Sadly in situations like this kids don't realize how scary it can be because they think they are playing a game.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:29 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I didn't lose my kids but was in a store when someone else did. Very scary! I am fully in support of the vest type outfits that have a leash type thing on them. It gives the child and mom a little freedom to browse and keep the child nearby and safe.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I've never understand why people don't use the buggy up to the weight limit and the leash type of backpack or whatever type works with their children. They say my child is not a dog and my mother had never needed. But they don't think about the today lifestyle. Busy people, loads of people, big stores, loads of cars on the streets. They think they can manage their children's behaviour but on the street and in the stores you are too busy to control everything. I am fully support the safe part. And I don't think the leash (especially the cute backpack ones) make a child look like a dog or feel like a dog. Anyway we put the leash on our dog not to let it wonder off or hurt itself. This leash thing doesn't point to the slavery anymore. It is only a big old prejudice what lost its meaning in this age. We live in a modern and busy world. It can be only a second to someone steal your child or a car hit him or her.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Not when they were young enough for me to worry about them - I always put them in the stroller when they were little and when they were older than that, they knew they had to stay where they could see me. My 8 and 10 year old I "lost" last year, but I knew they were together (that's the rule I have for them when they go out of my sight) and had asked if they could walk around the "circle" at Kohl's. It was only a few minutes though and I was more worried that they had disobeyed me than that they were lost (they hadn't, had just gotten turned around and ended up walking the circle twice). I had 3 under the age of 4 and I've always known it only takes a second!

Answer by missanc at 9:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2011