Are they good?Dog vs Kids

I'm a SAHM and my hubby is military. I want a protector in the house so I thought about a dog. Are any of these dogs good with kids and protecting? Pit bull, Rottweiler, Doberman. I just name these because I see them a lot. Any suggestions would be nice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ANY dog can bite with no warning. Even a gentle dog with a decades long history of love in your home. So how do you pick? Consider this:

"Pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:
    - cont -
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I think that those dogs would be fine with your child. They can be mean but only if they are raised that way. My mom has two pit bulls and they are GREAT around my niece.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Any of them can be great with kids but you MUST be well familiar with the breeds and a strong owner. These dogs needs a strong "alpha" owner and willing to exercise them. They can all be wonderful, loyal family pets but they must be trained so they don't walk all over you !
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 3:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• It all depends on the dog and how you respond with them. All dogs have the potential to be good pets but they need to be properly trained, exercised, etc.
    Anonymous

• again those are fine if you know the breed and the kids and dog grow up with the kid. i'm a sahm and a military wife as well so i understand where you are coming from. we just got a german shepard pup a few weeks ago.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 5:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price."
    Source: http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

Any dog can warn you of danger. Any dog will alert you to an intruder. Pick wisely.
    kaycee14

• I have had wiemeranier and he was the best with childern and also a great protector i had children in my home rainging from a few months to 4 yrs of age and he let those kids do anything to him and if any infant would cry he would gpo check on the child and the come look at me to take care of the child. do not get a small dog at all they are usually not very good with children
    labs are good most usually i would stay away from any mix breed type dog my self but this is just my own personal experiences you need to do a lot of research before you come to any decision and you may want to get a puppy one that can grow with the child(ren) and will be more likley to be more tolerant to anything that the children will do
    garricksmommy

Answer by garricksmommy at 9:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• we have a 105 lb. female rottweiler. she is incredibly good with the kids. she has never even so much as snapped, and my kids are 2, 3, 6, and 7. and we got her before my youngest was born. she is not a barker, digger, chewer (usually), etc. we have never had a reason for her to protect us, but when she sees unfamiliar men on the property she growls.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2008