Help ! my granddaughter is starting to hit and bite . How do I discipline her?

I raise my 17mon old granddaughter .she is starting to hit and bite. she thinks it is a game and laughs when i scold her. What else can I try.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is going to sound a little weird but it worked with my youngest son. I would pretend to cry whenever he bit or hit me and he totally stopped in his tracks and would look concerned and then try to comfort me. My husband would do it to. No issues anymore.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:01 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I agree with Syphon that might help her understand that she is hurting you instead of playing a game with you. I know for my kids I would put them in a time out for 1 minute and then go back and talk to them. If they got out I would put them right back in. I think no matter what you try you have to be consistent.

When my son got older about 3 and would still bite when he was frustrated I told him..See my teeth they are bigger then yours and they will hurt if I bite you. The next time he bit his brother I bit him back. Nothing to hard just enough to hurt a little. After that he understood that he was really hurting people and he never did it again.

Good Luck

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:40 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• When mine would do that I would use a firm "I mean business" tone and say "NO. Hitting/biting hurts" and I would have a stern look on my face. Then I would re-direct them by giving them something to chew on and say "here bite on this" or give them something else to focus their attention on. The key is to be FIRM and be CONSISTENT and do it every time.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:15 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yup, what MizLee just said! ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:29 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• We do what MizLee said, except I make sure I get down on their level, eye to eye. Sometimes he knows he did wrong and he starts crying, so we have a cuddle minute, and I do make sure he tells me (or his dad) "I'm sorry" (or as close as he can get to it - before he could talk I said it for him "I know you're sorry"). But then we quickly move on to playing again.

Answer by missanc at 9:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• When biting, put your fingers over her lips and say NO! You may not BITE! in a firm tone. When hitting gently grab the hand and say NO! You may not HIT! in the same firm tone. If she has followed through with the act, you tell her what she may not do and then administer a time out.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:10 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• when you find out let me know too okay!
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• same here when you find out let me know cause my daughter's going through that stage and she's 18 months and she get's a kick and laugh out of it if you say owwee so now when ever she see's my bare skin she said owee and pinches me so she knows what she s doing and if i tell her no even in a firm voice she tells me no and does it again i dont know how to really handle this one
    johnandtabby

Answer by johnandtabby at 7:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2011