Should i keep my 9 year old daughter home for severe constipation? adult content

I think she has impacted bowels. I called her Dr., they said to try over the counter kids laxatives. They didn't work. They made her gag, so she wouldn't eat enough of them to work (you have to eat like 6 chewables)

She is real uncomfortable & scared. She has been pooping that past few days, so I'm confused why all of the sudden....she can't pass stool. It pokes out, but then gets REAL painful for her to push & won't come out any further. I think she has impacted stool, where it gathers & gets real big int he colon & is almost impossible to pass.

Anyhow, would you keep your child home fro school?

I am keeping her home, i already decided. I'm just curious if any other mom has kept their child home due to severe constipation.

If it does not come out, her Dr. said they might have to manually remove it...ouch....this has never happened to us before. She has always had loose stool.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would keep her home and I would try giving her things like water with molasses or prune juice. Even prunes or grapes to eat might help. I have a fruit whose DD has to drink apple juice throughout the day and she actually had to go to the school and request that they allow her DD to have it during the day so something like this wouldn't happen.

I would try to explain to her that while she doesn't like the medication she should really try to eat them because they will help her poop. She is old enough to understand this and might try to eat them if she knew they might help her.

Good Luck

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:36 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would. If she is in pain she shouldn't go.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:28 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• yes i would b/c i would hate for my child to be in pain and send them to school for someone else to handle. Try some stool softer or some pruin juice i hope she feels better soon
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 7:28 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes, keep her home. Can you help her pull it out? Her fear is adding to the constipation. I think that if she is able to get it out a little further perhaps with your help, the rest will follow. Good luck. For her sake stay as calm as possible and explain to her what is happening and that you are trying to help her get past it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I tried pulling it out, i cannot get a grip on it. I think she has a pretty big piece in there that is just too big to pass through. Prune juice would work for upper intestinal constipation, but this is stuck in her colon & prune juice won't soften that poop that is ready to come out. I'm going to have to try some suppositories, or a kids enema.

When she pushes, she is crying real hard. It's painful for her to push.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• yep............i would keep my baby home.
    mghtymffn

Answer by mghtymffn at 7:48 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Would a suppository help? I don't know how they work but someone suggested this to me, so I'm passing it along.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 7:52 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would keep her home too. I wish I had some advice to help. Hope she's feeling better soon.
    PeaceLoveKnit

Answer by PeaceLoveKnit at 8:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes, I would keep her home and I have kept my son home for that. I gave him Miralax and it really helped. It dissolves in 8 oz of water or juice. He had to drink the entire glass at one time, but that is really no problem. He was about 6-8 at the time. If she is crying when she tries to go, being at school will be embarrassing and will make her unable to poop even more because she won't go.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Instead of laxatives for stools like that try something that coats it and makes it slip out easier, I think we've always used lactulose. Laxatives do not help when you have a large blockage because they don't tend to reach it I've found. We've also used suppositories when it got too bad. We've had so many constipation problems because one of my children was scared of pooing...

Relaxation helps. Massage her back, put a hot water bottle on it. Just let her sit on the toilet and read. No pressure to poop whatsoever, sometimes over a few hours it'll slowly start to inch out and that way there's no stress. Another help is spraying shower water as she attempts to push it out, we've found it takes the edge off the pain a little.

I feel her pain! I hope she's better soon.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2011