Daycare... licensed vs solo owned

Illinois-Becoming a childcare provider... solo

I am a licensed provider but I am thinking about going solo... meaning without being licensed. Anyone has suggestions or more insight or even experience in this matter?

Thanks so much to those who answered the question. This is a follow up....

Remember I am already licensed... I am thinking of no longer going through the state & the reason for that is I am in my home (not a actual center - yet but very soon 2011) and it really does not offer different perks unless you have subsidy clients.... truth be told

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Personally, I wouldn't leave my kids anywhere that wasn't licensed.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:09 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I dont know, I alway think it's better to have a license, even if you dont use it.
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 7:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I am with Dr. Donna, I wouldn't leave my kids somewhere unlicensed. And being state licensed DOES offer perks to the provider. Protection, support, reimbursement for food, training and in some cases health insurance.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You need to have a license. Think of insurance too.
    Home daycares in MA are licensed through the state. My DD goes to an excellent home daycare that is licensed. They are made to take these horribly boring training sessions every year, but it's only a couple of nights every year. The state makes visits, etc and the daycares can participate in subsidized meal plans for the kids, so the daycare doesn't have to pay for all the food the kids eat.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:15 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Actually, it depends by state if there are really perks. I am also an in-home care provider and I am not licensed yet. The only reason I am planning on getting my license in the next couple of months is because one of my mom's is pregnant and it will put me over my limit unless I get a license. In my state, you only get subsidized meals if you want to deal with clients that receive aid for childcare. Also, the state may never come to your home. I think that parents think you are inspected. It is all the luck of the draw if they come and see you or not. All you have to do is send in paperwork and they send you your license w/o even meeting you. If you have parents that do not mind either way, I would not bother with having a license.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Feb. 11, 2011