Whats wrong with my kid? vomiting adult content

She's puking again! She's been sick for over a week! We took her to the dr and got the whole "its a virus, she'll feel better in a few days but the diarrhea may last a few days more" on top of possible lactose intolerence or reflux....

well, I switched her to soy yesterday because she had been feeling better/keeping food down/having solid poops again for over a day, so she got 4oz and 2tbs of yogurt. She kept everything down and was feeling fine til 4am this morning. She even had tomatoes with dinner! She's been fine! So now its back to sleeping beside a bucket. : (

So far:

she complained because her belly hurt for a month

she threw up on 3 occasions throughout that month but only on the 3rd time seemed actually "sick". The other times it had just been 1 incident and then she was fine. On the 3rd time she just kept throwing up, complaining about her stomach, pooping water, but no real fever or anything, just sleepy and grumpy when she wasnt feeling well, and up trying to play when she was.

then she got better for a day

then she went back to being sick, only worse and in more pain for 3-4 days

then we got her back to normal, normal poops, no throwing up, no fever, nothing.

she was fine for almost 2 whole days

then last night she told me her belly hurt, got quiet for a few minutes after I helped her change positions, and then she got whiny and complained again, so I went to take her to the closest bathroom and we barely made it in the door.

She was fine til 7 am (btw, I've only had 2hrs of sleep since yesterday morning) then she woke up puking. She doesnt wake up and then puke either, she wakes up puking. She has puked 2x since then but its mostly just dry heaving again. She wont eat crackers and she hates the pedialite, but thats what she is getting for breakfast.

any ideas? I cant figure it out. I'm waiting on the dr to call me back.

chipper87

Asked by chipper87 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• So sorry!!! I'm not sure what the answer could be but I'm praying for you and I will bump your question... Hopefully someone will give you an answer..
    mandyh0319

Answer by mandyh0319 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would probably take her to the ER because something more is probably going on. They can check her out and make sure there is not any other issue in her bowels or what have you. Also have her tested for the flu. My dd and grandkids started with tummy aches, vomitting etc and then got the full blown flu.

Answer by gemgem at 9:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• 1st of all if ur Doc. Cant giv u solid answers I would get a second opinion. Obviously smthng other than a stomach virus is wrong with her... The only other experience Ive had with smthng like that is thru a close friend of mine whose son was like that.. Turns out he has severe allergies to almost everything! She has to watch everything she feeds him & I mean everything.. (some things I didnt even know ppl could b allergic too!). See if theres a pattern with the things u feed her & get a second opinion fast.
    tiamesmer

Answer by tiamesmer at 9:07 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes, I agree with gemgem,take her to the hospital today. She is not drinking enough. She will dehydrate and that is dangerous! She will need an i.v. to replace all the fluids she has lost. Now,get off the computer and take her now. Please message me and let me know how she is doing. They can run tests to see what is wrong,something is really wrong. Please let me know.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:25 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Hey, hun :) I'd say take her to the ER because Doctors know best ;) Definitely take her to a different doctor since the first obviously wasn't right. It says it's been going on for a month so that's wayyy too long. Bring her to the ER and raise hell until they find out what's wrong with her.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 12:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Okay, so I called and spoke to the nurse again and she said that if I feel she is getting dehydrated beyond what I would be able to correct, then I can bring her in, they will assess her and send her over to the pediatrics wing of the hospital where they will administer a saline solution and re-assess her afterward.
    I honestly think that she is in a safe level of dehydration. She is drinking the pedialite pretty well right now and keeping down crackers. I'm about to go make her some broth as well and also make jello for her. Like I told the nurse, I am monitoring just how much liquid she gets, and if I feel she is getting dehydrated beyond chapped lips, then I will be taking her in to get something done. I dont want to panic over something small, so I'm going to do what I can at home 1st, then take her in if necessary.

Thanks so much guys!

Sinai...your posts beckon you ♥
    chipper87

Comment by chipper87 (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would cut out all dairy and see if that makes the difference. one week of no dairy should be enough for you to know. Also might want to do a round of probiotics. With her being so ill, it could mess up her gut flora and make her symptoms worse.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:49 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i agree with daughter of truth. not only would i cut all dairy, but i would not give soy milk...ever.
    while she is "sick" and recovering i would only give water to drink, i might possibly give dilluted fruit juice (all natural or organic)
    i would never give my kids pedialyte. garbage in garbage out...just because "good" stuff is mixed in with garbage, doesn't mean the body will even get the "good" stuff. we vomit because we have to get rid of something that our body does not need or want.
    i am so sorry for you and your baby...it is so awful when our little ones don't feel well. i am sorry too, that you are not getting your sleep! that makes everything even harder!
    good luck and good health to you both!
    a probiotic is a wonderful idea!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• before you said not to try soy milk I had already given her some, now I'm hoping you can fill me in on why its bad. I know lots of people that drink soy milk and it doesnt hurt them by any means that I know of, so is it dangerous or is it just something you personally are agaisnt? If its the latter, can you give reasons? I want to feed her the best than I can, and any info you give me would be helpful. Also, why not the pedialyte? I'm rather fond of it, in combination with diluted juice, lol. Thanks for the info!
    chipper87

Comment by chipper87 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2011