The word "fool" and the bible... Help me out ladies.

Dh asked me to strike the word fool from my vocab. As of lately he has been asking me to take alot of words from my vocabulary. Strangely enough, not the swear words.

I stay my ground because I don't ask him to quit using certain words no matter how ludicrous they sound coming out of his mouth.

Anyway he hops on me because the word fool comes out of my mouth this morning pertaining to the actions of someone I know. I said, "I have no idea why this man acts a fool. He's too damn grown for all that."

Dh then tells me that the bible states that the word fool is a sin and that I would burn in hell for saying so.

I asked if he knew where in the bible. Some things I'd rather read for myself. He said no, then proceeded in saying, "I'm just telling you because it's your soul that'll be damned..not mine."

Pissed me off a bit. I called my mom and asked her she said she thought it meant in the manner in which you talk about someone. Not the actual word fool.

So now i'm asking other people. Is saying the word fool a sin??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Matthew 5:22 (King James Version)

22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Thats where he got it from

Answer by gemgem at 9:06 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• The Scripture to which your husband was referring is Matthew 5:22. But there are other places where Jesus calls people fools (I can look up the references for you if you would like), so I think it's in the manner in which it's said.

Answer by missanc at 9:09 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• gem - we must have been posting at the same time!

• that sounds ridiculous to me. He would have gotten a mouth full from me.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:05 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• my dad said something about that, I would be more concerned with the poor grammar than burning in hell. Why would your friend ask a fool something?
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 9:05 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• lol, I guess you edited that,
    shivasgirl

• good grief! We cant say anything! I might as well just give it up!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:06 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• @ missanc

If it is in the manner in which it is said, then when IS it appropriate?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• The 'thought of foolishness' is a sin. Maybe he's thinking of that? I'm not aware of a verse that specifically says that saying the word fool is a sin, but this is the only verse I can think of.

Proverbs 24:9

I think it's safe to assume he's probably not 'without sin' either, so his statements about YOUR choices make me think of this....

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."~Matthew 7:5

I'm sorry, but I just think it's rude to go around telling other people they are damned, and in my personal experience it often seems to come from people who are far from perfect themselves. I'm sorry someone in your life is saying these things to you. It's up to you to figure out for yourself what is right and wrong IMO. Good luck!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Your husband is being far too controlling for any normal human being....

Some people do act in a way that is negative, if their behaviour is negative, why not use a negative word?

Personally, that would be a huge red flag for me. He wants to control what you say, and he's using the bible as an excuse because he doesn't want you questioning it.

Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 9:26 AM on Feb. 11, 2011