• In the Spotlight:

A single guinea in a cage next to a herd?

There is an adult male guine up for adoption in my area on CL and I am thinking of taking him in because there are a few people in our area that have been taking the guinea pigs and cats from craigslist to feed them to snakes. The only problem is he is a boy and I have a group of 4 girls. I can not put him in with my herd for obvious reasons. Would he be ok with the socilization if I put together a C&C 2 story cage and let him have the top story so he could see and talk to the girls with our getting them knocked up? Or if I get him and do I need to get another boy to keep him company?
Keeping them together is not an option I am not going to be turned into a backyard breeder and none of the vets in this area know how to properly care for guinea pigs let alone how to fix the poor boy.

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I have my pigs separated in C&C cages, two to a cage. They fight if I don't keep them separated. Our arrangement is like what you are talking about. There are two C&C cages on the bottom, one on top, and the females are on top of them. They don't fight anymore and the females don't even make them crazy anymore. So, yes it is doable. Definitely get another male though. Guinea pigs like to be in groups as you already know.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yes, I would get two boys to keep the other company.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• thats a exotic animal?
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 6:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Bonding boars can be tricky... it can be done, but it can take trial and error, which could lead to you having several boars who the original boar doesn't get along with. I'm not sure how he would react to being beside a whole troup of girls that he just can't get to! I would probably lean towards trying to get him neutered, even if you have to go outside your area for an exotics vet that deals with pigs and other rodents. I've got a really knowledgeable guinea pig vet but I did have to shop for her and find a place that does exotics moreso than dogs and cats... one of my pigs had surgery last summer and came through it just fine. Good luck if you take the little guy in!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Kudos to you - or why not have the boy guinea pig bond with a Neatherland dwarf rabbit? They get along great. I had a male of each species and they loved each other.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• knocked up? hmm do you mean pregnant? tashces is right about the rabbit. but really he doesnt need a companion if you give him attention. don't put him on top. he will do his business and the sows. maybe you could rescue him and give him to a 4H kid. That's what i did. i never heard it called backyard breeder pertaining to quinea pigs. lol I don't think there is over population on them and most are bred at homes.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 6:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2011