Spinoff of sorts,of one of my questions regarding women of 40+ having kids who may end up with Downs

A few people mentioned how women of an advanced age may have kids with Downs and that it will be a strain on the welfare system/social security/SSI to give these folks benefits into their adulthood.
It really saddens me that there are people who would feel that a woman should not conceive past a certain age because of the threat of the child having Downs,or any other disability. I have 2 friends who had babies past 40,and neither had a child with Downs.
You ARE aware that it isn't just older women that have Downs children,right?
I think there are quite a few people that need to educate themselves on people with disabilities in general. All these people are not straining the system. Not all Downs people are so badly disabled that they cannot work or care for themselves.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I was 20 years old when my son with Down syndrome was born! He's the light of my life, right along with his baby sister!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have 5 children, two of whom I had after 40. None of my children have Downs Syndrome. Actually, if haters would get educated before opening their pie holes, they would learn that it is strictly a numbers game. In reality, women under 40 have better odds of having kids with Downs. The fact that the number of women having kids after 40 is much lower than those who don't is the ONLY reason the "odds" seem to increase for over 40 moms. It is just a numbers game, nothing more...it is missleading actually. So, to that end, I will be thankful for my 5 kids, healthy, happy, smart, kind. And entirely NO ONE ELSES business how I conduct my reproductive life.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:41 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Very well said! Bravo!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I agree with you. I know several younger women (20's) who have had children with Downs; although your risk increases when you get older it's not just older moms who have babies with Downs. There are also varying degrees of DS; some can work and have relatively normal lives - I have a cousin who is 35, married and has a job. He and his wife live in housing that they pay for, but is assisted.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I am quite certain that the percentage of teens who have babies and are on Medicaid/WIC, etc is exponentially higher than the percentage of women over 40 who get pregnant AND have a baby with DS AND end up on gov't benefits.
    Reality check, people.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:10 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think there are quite a few people that need to educate themselves on people with disabilities in general.

VERY well said!! 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I absolutely agree with you and can't understand women who feel it's any of their business to comment/decide on another woman's childbearing age. I don't believe the risk of Down's or other disorders is any reason not to have children. Furthermore, I believe anyone with Down's who had the capacity for understanding such a ridiculous line of thought would be offended! As if Down's kids are any less valuable or insightful or passionate about life! Shame on anyone who would deprive a life to live just because of a few extra challenges!!!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:52 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• clapping

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• VERY true!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• The risk over the age of 35 is greater than it is for woman when they are younger, but I would never tell a woman to not conceive a child b/c of the risk. I think that having a child is one of the greatest joys you will ever experience. YOu are correct in that some of them are able to care for themselves as long as they are guided in the right the direction. I have taken care of many that were turning into productive members of society as well as worked with others at jobs that I have held.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:40 AM on Feb. 11, 2011