Pregnant And laying on your back. Is it really bad ?

Im 20 weeks.
I was reading a book & it said try not to sleep on your back !
Sometimes when im sleeping, i flip on my back, Should i stop ? IS it really bad ? & how BAd & why.
SORRY for all the questions.
Have a Good DAY !!!!

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i saked the same question 2 weeks ago! lol u cant help flipping on ur back... they say not to lay flat on your back.. what i do to prevent flipping on my back at night is i put a pillow behind me so im not completely on my back...
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• When I was in the hospital I was told to lay on my side because the baby weight can press on organs...and it also caused my blood pressure to go up. I don't know if it was just me though but I was in the hospital due to preterm labor.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 9:48 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think oxygen wise it is better for the baby if u lay on your left side. Use pillows if u need to. The baby gets more oxygen when u r on your side.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• usually your body will tell you to move when the position is no longer comfortable. rolling to your back in your sleep is inevitable, and i think weve all done it, but if you happen to wake up on your back then roll over to your left side. left is best because everything circulates better for both you and baby. left is also better if youre having swelling or blood pressure issues.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• When you lie on your back, all the weight from your womb and shifting organs is pressing against the vena cava, which depresses blood flow to you and to the baby. It can also make breathing more difficult, which affects the baby you are breathing for. It also slows digestion, which you may not need any extra help with while you're pregnant. Your left side is the very best for all of those things, but lying on your back occasionally shouldn't make much of a difference. As you get further along you'll probably naturally find that it is no longer comfortable to do so.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• As long as you are comfortable on your back, I believe it's okay. You'll start getting to the point where it is not comfortable anymore, and that is when it is not okay. I laid on my back until I was about 28 weeks along, and then I couldn't anymore.
    kristina.de

Answer by kristina.de at 1:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My midwife said whatever way is most comfortable to sleep is the correct way. Most of the left-side no back is outdated info. Your body will alert you when it can no longer handle back sleeping.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I had a sono done at 38 wks and they had me on my back for it. I almost passed out the tech felt so bad about it. Misses Nick had the best explanation.
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 2:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2011