Winding down Fannie and Freddie?

Personally, all 3 ideas suck. I say start selling off F&F loans. I do think having the whole system more privatized is the way to go just not the way they want. There is no way this entity should remain in any capacity.
Your thoughts?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Agreed. Privatization is really the only option - they have proven time and again that this program just isn't working.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Just like any gov program it needs to go back to private sector.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I'm drawing a blank! entity? I need to know what you are taking about. did i miss something? lol who are fannie and freddie? fill me in please and thank you. I feel really stupid right now. lol
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 9:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I am politicly retarded and I go to these questions to try to learn more about it. I am embarassed to say I don't know what you are talking about.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 10:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• How is the mortage industry not private? Not all mortages have mortage insurance anyway, and if banks didn't make risky loans it wouldn't be needed at all.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• While they are at it they should prosecute Franks and Dodd for pushing this fraud on the American people.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:33 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Sorry Dianakk Did you read the article? They are one of the major reasons housing is in such a mess right now. They received a huge bailout from the tax payers. You can google Fannie and Freddie and get oodles of them
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• They are one of the major reasons housing is in such a mess right now

They have their problems, but the banks started with their sub prime mortgages all on their own, Fannie an Freddie didn't do it until much later then other banks.   Part of the problem yes, major reason, no.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• F&F used to be thought of as beyond reproach, guess we learned that isn't the case.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2011