• In the Spotlight:

How old should my son be before I can start giving him bottles of waer between feedings? I just want to keep him hydrated, especially 'cuz we live in the desert.

nates_mommi

Asked by nates_mommi at 7:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can give him water at any age just start with a few sips. It is good to give them water to wash there mouth out after they have milk.
    mamagator

Answer by mamagator at 7:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I'd check with your doctor first. I was always told that babies don't need any water before a year old. I live in Pa though so it's not all that hot here...
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 8:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I agree about checking with your doctor. I'm not sure giving water is recommended but perhaps it might be if given small amounts.
    EmjayOT

Answer by EmjayOT at 9:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• when you make him a bottle you make it with water and formula so he wont get dehydrated. My sons pedatrician told me me to get some of that baby water at the grocery store and give that to my son. but water will not hurt him but you dont need to give him a lot of water. maybe an ounce.
    bix019

Answer by bix019 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Check with your doctor if you're formula feeding. If you are nursing just nurse more often, your milk has a high water content, esp. in the heat and extra water is unnecessary until at least 6 months.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• 6 months is the minimum guideline generally. Then no more than an ounce because of risk of electrolyte imbalance. If baby is breastfed it is like 88% water. Nurse more often and babe will be fine.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• 6-months is typical. Just make sure the water is at room temp. Cool water is fine, but cold water can cause stomach cramping.
    catlee2127

Answer by catlee2127 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I give my son about an ounce of the store bought water when we go out for our walks, especially with it being so hot. He's 3 months old now and I've been doing that since he was about 10 weeks. It was approved by his pediatrician.
    xdwmom

Answer by xdwmom at 5:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I just had a baby and her doctor told me it was ok to give the baby water now in between feedings that it wont hurt her just make sure you get a really small hole nipple cuz its easy for them to choke on water with the nipple you use for formula being its bigger to let the thick formula through
    BriMom618

Answer by BriMom618 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• my doctor said any age just use premie nipples on the bottle.it works for me and my 4 month old does not choke, but do give breaks in between sucking just to prevent from chocking
    onesleepymama

Answer by onesleepymama at 1:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2008