Question about ADHD??

My son will be 7 next month, he is in 1st grade. Didnn't have any trouble in kindergarten last year and not any unusual problems at home.. This year, my son has had many notes sent home about him not listening and disrupting the class. I have had 2 confrences with his teacher about this issue, but we can't come to a solution of what to do with him. He has good grades, but he just doesn't sit still at school and likes to talk to everyone around him after being told not to do so during class time. The teacher mentioned he might have ADHD, but I dont want him on meds. Is there any other solutions to help him at school. I have disciplined him and had talks with him about this, but he still doesn't mind. HELP!!!! I don't know what else to do!!

ProudMommie87

Asked by ProudMommie87 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It may not be adhd. It may be he is so far ahead of the class he is bored. Please don't jump to meds with out an official diagnosis form a developmental ped or a psychologist. An IQ test may be all you need.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:36 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Ok thanks! I really do not want him on meds, so I was basically just looking for other ways that could help him better accomodate in the classroom!
    ProudMommie87

Comment by ProudMommie87 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• The teacher actually said "He may have ADHD"? First, they aren't supposed to say that. And if he did have ADHD, he'd be exhibiting symptoms everywhere, not just at school. My son has ADHD. He's not on meds, we're trying therapy, etc. first. Medication will be a LAST resort.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Honey I have the same problem with my 6 year old... my mom told me that there were home remedy's for this... ie... nutrition, vitamins, and other ways to deal with this without putting them on freaking med's (which those MEDs make you not yourself) here are two website to check out... it really works dear!

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-home-remedies
    http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-diets
    lynn.cox22

Answer by lynn.cox22 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• First, maybe try a behavioral chart. If this doesn't work, talk to your ped about getting a referral for behavioral therapy, and ask the ped to either refer you to someone who can test your son for ADHD. Do not rely on the teacher's diagnosis. I know it's hard to believe, but, SOME teachers out there don't like to deal with challenging behaviors, and nip them in the bud. Usually, they are either inexperienced, or they are simply overwhelmed.

Having said that, if your child does have ADHD, you and he will find great relief in medication. I know it is controversial for a lot of people, and I was one of the doubters until we tried it. If he is indeed ADHD, and takes the med, you will know immediately if it works or not. I'm talking within 1-3 days! A lot of times the unwanted behaviors are almost like 'ticks' or impulses they cannot help/stop on their own.
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My son is 14 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD when he was in 1st grade. In preschool the teacher mentioned she thought he might have it. When I talked to other parents in that class, she had said the same thing to many of them as well about their children. She seemed very overwhelmed with her class and felt they should all be medicated apparently. In kindergarten, he struggled a lot too. He was always a very hyper but very happy little boy. In 1st grade, the teacher was trying to teach him how to read and he couldn't sit still and focus long enough to sound out a word. That is when we took him to a child psychologist and he was diagnosed. I was so afraid to put him on meds because I didn't want it to change his personality. His ped doc said that if the medicine changes who he is then that is not the right medicine for him. Concerta worked great for him.
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would deffinitely get him diagnosed by a child psychologist before jumping to meds. Teachers are very overwhelmed these days with classroom size and lack of help. If your child does not have ADHD the medicine will not work. Behavioral charts are something you can try as well. Reward him for getting good reports from his teacher. Like a sticker chart. Good luck...
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Okay for ADHD...to meet criteria, for it to be diagnosed as ADHD, you must have seen the onset BEFORE seven years of age. It is listed in the DSM - you can easily look that up. Most parents can look back and see that as a toddler, in preschool, in K-5 - those things were ALWAYS evident. If this is the first year you are getting this feed back I would put on the brakes. Doesn't mean don't take this into consideration. It means just take a step back. Anxiety by the way can have the exact same symptoms as ADHD. So if this year your child is not comfortable in his class (for whatever reason) then you may be looking at anxiety. Or it may be that the work is a little bit mroe difficult and the behaviors are a distraction to the real issue. I do not like the Connor's rating scale which is what most school use. The reason is anxiety, depression, and other issue have the same exact signs but you are only doing a check
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:47 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• list. Not an explanation as to why. There are MUCH better tools that schools are not qualified to use, unless it is the school psychologist. Even doctors use the Connor's scale - be mindful of that. It can be helpful but not complete. So the first step is having insight into what is going one. Ask for specific concerns and behaviors. Not what she thinks the diagnosis is. Just the behaviors. Then seek a therapist who can do a full psychosocial assessment. Gather old report cards and comments by teachers to bring in. This helps. Even ask old teachers to do an eval, provided by the teachers, from what they can remember of your child. Is there a huge difference? ADHD is a medical condition that really doesn't come out of the blue. On the other hand many times we can over look it and it is there. What is "normal" for us may not be the average. So we sometimes need perspective from professionals.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:52 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• sorry this is long but I know quite a bit about this - I can diagnose. It is tricky. The thing we know about ADHD: if diet "cures" the symptoms - it is not really ADHD. Then it was more likely a food sensitivity. To be sure we can all do better with eating. But less than 5% of people truly say diet completely helps.  Exercise, medication, therapy, (and yes) a good diet is best practice for treatment.  Medication is not drugging a child.  If a child is having difficulty academically, socially, emotionally, and with the family life - then something is going on!  Is it ADHD?  Well, maybe.  A doctor and a therapist can be your best allies in this.  Don't rule out ADHD because you don't like the idea of medication.  But don't rush to make the conclusion this is it.  One small step at a time.  First get the professional input.  Then decide best course of treatment.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2011